Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What is Creativity?

I often think that I am not very creative.  Well not creative in what I think of as the "normal' way.  I took piano lessons for years but really don't play that well, no natural talent.  I took art lessons for a couple of years but can only draw a clown and a cube. Well, I drew a turkey for my class last week and one of my students said, "Ms. Jones, that turkey is mixed." I asked him what he meant and he said, "That turkey looks like his daddy was a turkey and his momma was a turtle!" I looked and sure enough he was right.  My turkey had a turtle head.  Okay, so no artist talent for me either.

I have come to realize that I have what I think of as an unusual talent...I make up stories.  Since these stories were only in my head no one ever saw them I didn't think that it could be a kind of creativity.
After all, artists and musicians were creative.  Authors and song writers were creative.  I just made up stories. Then one day after writing with Jean for a while I realized that if our stories got published that we would be published authors. Authors were creative! I was being creative!  This realization gave me a new respect for the work Jean and I were doing.  It also gave me the confidence to think that I might be more creative that I thought! Today I am able to share the cover of our new book that was released this week, Simple Gone South.  Having a book for sale, now that will make a girl feel creative!

I recently went to a painting party.  I didn't really want to go but it was a  group of church friends and we were having our meeting there so I was sucked into the art. At first we made fun of my efforts.  My painting was looking pretty rough!  But I kept working and doing some of the things that the art lady told me to try then lo and behold, it started to look better! By the end of the night it actually looked good and one of the girls copied something from it. I felt creative! It was great!
My Wreath Painting
What does creativity mean to you?

7 comments:

  1. You know, having been an artist, a musician and now a writer, I am convinced of this one thing. Creativity is all about a process. If you can define the process, you can do anything. And that's why you painted such a lovely wreath...someone walked you through the process. :D

    Of course, given this definition, My Honey insists I would be a great computer programmer. My response? Ewe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesia, I can see you as an artist, a musician and a writer but I just can't see you as a computer programmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's the most beautiful thing anyone has ever said to me! :D

      Delete
  3. Stephanie, I think your wreath is beautiful. Shades of Monet or Manet. Very cool! You should be very proud of your talent. ;)

    Lesia, I can't see you as a computer programmer either. I think you'd rather not be sitting in a chair working with numbers, but rather sitting in a chair working with words or pictures. Keep writing, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thanks Kathy. I said when I was painting it that it was Impressionist.
      I appreciate your compliment!

      Delete
    2. You achieved your goal then!!! Woot!!!

      Delete
  4. Great Research Solutions Pvt. Ltd. ( GRSoft ) is an IT company with no geographical boundaries and provides all that you can think of around IT including consulting, solutions, applications and outsourcing services.

    Hire Software Application Developer

    ReplyDelete