Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Monday, November 5, 2012

Something Has Has To Go



Something has to go and I've decided it's pie crusts.

This is no small thing for me. I am extremely proud that I can make a good pie crust so I never buy one.  You see that pie in the picture? That is not something I got off photobucket. That is my apple pie.  It has a cheese crust and  the pan is apple shaped. For special occasions, it isn't enough for me to make the pie crusts. I make extra and decorate with little cutouts that I make with doodads I bought from Williams-Sonoma. For Thanksgiving I have acorns, pumpkins, apples, and leaves of all varieties. And for Thanksgiving I make about five pies.

But here's the thing. Everything is all different now. Stephanie and I have books due. I love saying that. And believe me, I am not complaining. But I am not going to be able to make pie crusts either—and a couple of other things.

It has always been my belief that if you treat your writing like a hobby, it will be a hobby. I ought to know.  I did it for twenty years. I wasn't even pretending it wasn't a hobby. But five years ago something happened. Stephanie and I had a little idea about something we wanted to try to write together. Not far into it, we decided we were not going to be hobbyists.  We had enough hobbies—most of which we don't have anymore. Before we sold, I did not consider it unprofessional to take a few days off from writing to make a holiday happen. I still don’t consider that something only a hobbyist would do, but—for me—it's not feasible this year.

We have a book due January 1. We would like to be done before Thanksgiving. That is feasible—but not if I feel the need to have a Martha Stewart Thanksgiving.

So this year Pillsbury Already Pie Crusts are going to be good enough for me. Four pies are going to be good enough for my family and friends. I am going to ask my sister to do the table decorations. She's better at it than I am anyway.

But I am not going to use paper napkins. Even with my new philosophy, I have my limits. But I ironed them months ago before we sold. If I hadn't, there is a dry cleaner right down the street.

What have you let go in the name of what is more important?

11 comments:

  1. I'm happy to let my housekeeping slide a bit. Who needs a spotless floor when there's writing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am with you there. Right now my downstairs is being painting and I have a double excuse. Why clean when everything is a mess anyway?

      Though, I admit there comes a time when I have a hard time being productive when things are in a mess. At that point, it's better if I do it.

      Delete
  2. I've never been able to make a good pie crust...but there are things that slide when deadlines come calling. Not that I'm complaining - I mean who *wouldn't* want to slip a little deeper into a fictional world when the laundry comes calling?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristina!! I'd gladly slip away anytime laundry comes calling. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Welcome Krista!

      I agree. I am fond of saying, "I'm going to Merritt," which is where Stephanie and I set our world. Everything is in order there--except love lives. They get their pie at Lou Anne's Diner.

      Delete
  3. This is so telling, Jean. I've had to do the same thing for years when my family was used to me to doing everything from scratch. It's hard to go from trying to be Martha Stewart to being a successful writer when the family thinks they're getting jipped. LOL!! This is something I've had a hard time adjusting to. Why buy a crust when you know your crust tastes better? But in the end, it's an adjustment we have to make, if we're going to get those books done, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Kathy. My pressure is self inflicted. My people don't care. Or they don't say so if they do. The Guy just wants a plan out of me. I can cook. We can go out. I can send him out. We can order pizza. He just doesn't want to have to think of what to do. That is a small thing for a man who will read your galley, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. A: Never schedule a book to be due on Jan 1. Just saying. Figure that the holidays are going to destroy any writing schedule. Work is work, but holidays are part of your family memories. Sometimes the work will have to come first, but try not to make it during the holidays.

    B. You gotta live life regardless.

    C. When I'm on deadline, I get the bills paid and the laundry done, the dogs walked and fed. If anything else gets done, that's just the luck of the draw, and the moment. I might need some thinking time, and I can do mindless things while I think.

    D. (B) conflicts with everything else. But they're all true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent advice, Maven Linda. You live; you learn; but, most of all, you listen to Linda!

      Thankfully, the next deadline is May.

      Delete
  5. I've used Pillsbury Already Pie Crusts for years. It was just an honest realization that I would never make the beautiful woven pie crust my Mamaw made. Ever. Besides, by the time I got done with it it tasted awful. Because to me, food is art and I work the dough too much playing with it for it to ever be tasty. So, no homemade pie crusts here.

    And having been a stay-at-home mom for years, I spoiled my family into homemade goodness. They expect it now. But after learning how to be a working-mom at the library, I spoil them with the best yum I can find if I can't make it myself. In fact, I have an order in right now for someone to bring home a Cheesecake Factory Plain Cheesecake. Thataway I can pour over the top of it the most delicious Maple Pumpkin Pecan Sauce you ever tasted and call it Yum!

    And not being vain, I'll plug this now....that sauce recipe will be here on Thursday along with Pumpkin Breakfast Deliciousness. (Sorry, Jean.) For now, I'm off to Riverland. I hope someone has pie..... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Color me late as usual (massive deadline), but this is SO true. I was just talking about this with Mr. Harris the other day. Before I sold, I used to take whole days off if I wanted to. If the urge to go shopping hit, I'd go. I'd make dinner from scratch every night. Easy recipes usually, but my recipes.

    Now, I have a very demanding job. I work all day just like I would if I went to an office. I sometimes work at night. But I do not go shopping in the middle of the day. I sometimes go to lunch with writer friends, because you need camaraderie and a sympathetic ear, but it's not often.

    The things we eat for dinner are exceedingly simple now. Broiled fish and salad. Rotisserie chicken and salad. Tacos. Chili. You get the idea. Things that are simple and require little prep.

    I don't clean. I got a once a week cleaning lady for that. I throw laundry in while taking a break. I do not fold it. I wait for Mr. Harris and we fold it together before bed.

    I grocery shop in the evenings, because I'm working during the day. I run errands when they pile up and I have to. I go shopping rarely, but especially before a big event where I need a new outfit.

    I watch my shows when I have time because I DVR them. Writing comes first. Mr. H and I watch things together, and I make time for that because family time is crucial. He comes first of all, but he also knows writing has to get done and he's fine with me disappearing when a deadline is close. I watch a football game with him once a week, but I do other things while watching -- catch up on email, etc.

    Much has changed from the days when I was aspiring. The work has to get done because the only thing that matters to a reader is that next book. Each book sells the next, and if you don't get the work done, they'll move on to the next author on their list and forget about you.

    Unless you are Linda, in which case they won't forget about you. :) They'll tap their fingers and wait impatiently, but they will wait. (Not that Linda makes them wait, but she could if she wanted to.)

    The rest of us, however, can't count on that. So get to work! ;)

    ReplyDelete