Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Luddite No More

I realized yesterday that I had somehow without my knowledge had a change of perspective in my life...I am a Luddite no more.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, a Luddite is someone who is resistant to change, especially change that is brought about by evolving technology.

The term came to be in the 1800's when the Industrial Revolution began in England.  Many people felt that the new factory machines would replace humans in the manufacturing process and that there would be wide-spread unemployment which would lead to all kinds of problems for the nation.

Ned Ludd
The movement was named after Ned Ludd who was reported to have smashed some stocking making looms and started much of the actual revolt.

Precious Angel's daddy is who originally called me a Luddite because I was always exploding computers and belly-aching (okay, whining) about all the troubles I had with technology. I felt it added a lot of stress to my life that I just didn't need.

Slowly, slowly this has changed.  This weekend as I was piled up on my bed on top of my made up bed, I realized that I had embraced using technology to a huge extent. 

There I sat. I was actually working on the lap-top while I looked up email on an I-pad to quote in the document on my computer.  I was texting with Pantster about our new website and had my Kindle on the charger.  Needless to say it was an epiphany.  Somehow without realizing it I had lost my Luddite status.

What is your favorite kind of technology?

5 comments:

  1. I too have Luddite-isms. But my iPhone is my favorite kind of technology. You know...it's always with me and it offers such variety of tools...my favorite being anything that gives me music, of course! Okay. And I admit that I turn the ringer off on the phone (often) and let calls go to voicemail. It's a move to claim my own time and not let technology or circumstances dictate my life. Well....and then there's the issue that I live in Nowheresville where connectivity is iffy to begin with. See! It's all about the music on my phone! Lalalalala..... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to be so late with my reply. You are right, Lesia, that technology can help us stay connected.

      That's a great reason to embrace it!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE modern technology, but I've taught my kids how to survive should there ever be a zombie apocolypse. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you embrace change, Katherine. :-)
      I just move a little slower, sorta like a zombie!

      Delete
  3. Great Research Solutions Pvt. Ltd. ( GRSoft ) is an IT company with no geographical boundaries and provides all that you can think of around IT including consulting, solutions, applications and outsourcing services.

    Hire Software Application Developer

    ReplyDelete