Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Friday, October 5, 2012

The Ultimate Comfort Food-Chicken Pot Pie


The temperatures are finally cooling off here in Alabama and cooking seems to be more fun with a snap in the air.  So I thought that I would share  one of the best thing in life--an easy chicken pot pie recipe.  My mom used to make this for us whenever we were recovering from anything from surgery to divorce.  She swears it is better than chicken soup because it is creamier and crustier.  I think that is southern mom speak for "everything is better with a crust."

Ingredients
1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegtables, thawed  {I often just use mixed vegetables, drained}
1  cup cut-up cooked chicken  {Again, I often use canned all white meat chicken, it may not be quite as good but is waaaaay simpler for single girl!}   
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup  {Reduced fat and sodium soup doesn't seem to change the taste or texture and makes me feel a bit less guilty}             
1 cup Original Bisquick® mix   {Heart-Healthy version worked out well}
1/2 cup milk    
1 egg         

Instructions:                           
1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Mix vegetables, chicken and soup in ungreased 2-quart casserole.
2.  Stir remaining ingredients in small bowl with fork until blended. Pour into casserole.
3.  Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.

I have also used left over roast and left over Cajun roast beef from the deli to make this with cream of mushroom soup and it was really, really good.

This may not be the fanciest recipe we have ever had here under the tulip tree but my life lends itself to simpler times right now and I thought y'all might enjoy slowing down a bit with me for some good simple food that leaves more time for visiting!

What is your favorite comfort food?


                                       




7 comments:

  1. I love chicken pot pie and this sounds so much easier than what I usually do. Will definitely try it, except I can't use mixed veggies. The Guy will not eat peas.

    What about that tuna put pie you make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make that tuna pot pie anymore since I discovered canned chicken!

      Delete
  2. My hubby won't eat celery, so I have to go through the mixed veggies and remove all of the celery, and most of the carrots. It takes a couple of minutes, max.

    But my comfort food is ice cream :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that is so sweet of you to do that for him and very romantic.

      Hmmm, ice cream is a great comfort food!
      I may run get some tonight!

      Delete
  3. Chocolate chip cookies!!!! Num num num num...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are always yummy! Especially if someone else makes them for me!

      Delete