Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Friday, October 12, 2012

Recipe Friday: Pecan Pie

It's  pecan pie time of year. I don't know why. Well, I do. Or I guess I do. I would say pecans are being harvested now, so that's why fall is pecan pie time. I harvest my pecans at the grocery store. So did my mother. Still, she only made pecan pie in the fall and so do I.

For years, I made the pie on the back of the Karo syrup bottle. It's a good pie. I have not given up that recipe. But this is something special, if you like maple. Now, you cannot use Log Cabin syrup. You cannot use Mrs. Butterworth or Aunt Jamima. You must use real maple syrup. And be prepared to pay about ten dollars for two cups.

As an aside--and you knew there had to be one--I have a lot of maple syrup at my house. That's what happens when you are having a dozen teenagers for breakfast and you send The Guy to buy syrup. He comes back with a gallon. I am not kidding. Even a dozen teenagers can't eat that much syrup. Luckily, it lasts a long time.

Anyway, give this a try. You won't be sorry.



Pecan Pie

Ingredients:

  • 1 rolled-out round of basic pie dough
  • 2 cups pure maple syrup
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tb. Bourbon or rum
  • 1 1/2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped

Directions:

Fit pic crust into a nine inch pan. I make my own, but you may buy it if you like.

Refrigerate or freeze the pie shell until firm, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 350°F.

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the maple syrup to a boil and boil for 8 to 10 minutes to reduce. Remove from the heat and pour into a heatproof measuring pitcher. The syrup should be reduced to 1 1/2 cups. If necessary, return the syrup to the saucepan and continue to boil until sufficiently reduced. Let cool to room temperature before proceeding.

In a bowl, stir together the eggs, brown sugar, reduced maple syrup, salt, melted butter, bourbon, and vanilla until well mixed. Add the pecans and stir well. Pour into the pie shell, making sure the pecans are evenly distributed.

Bake the pie until the center is slightly puffed and firm to the touch, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool until just slightly warm, about 45 minutes, before serving. Makes one 9-inch pie; serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment