Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Monday, October 29, 2012

Cloud Atlas

There are some things that I am simply not smart enough to understand. Physics. String Theory. Who put the ram
in the rama lama ding dong.

And Cloud Atlas.Let me make clear that I am talking about the movie here, not the book. I have not read the book. I have not even seen all the movie, because there came a point where I could not take any more.

Some would say that one should not hold forth about something they have not seen in the whole. I say, that the fact that I had to leave is significant to my point. Besides, I lasted two thirds.

I don't know it if it was a time traveling situation or if there was a bunch of flashbacks and fast forwards. Like I said, not smart enough. But I do know this: it was one big old mess--not unlike a collage of stories on a wheel spinning at warp speed.

There was a composer and his helper in the 1930's, a lawyer on a tall ship with a Peruvian worm, and somebody digging up teeth on a cannibal island. There was an Oriental clone woman, who had been created for the purpose of being a waitress. Oh, and let's not forget the post-apocalyptic goatherd and Halle Berry, wearing some sort of white jumpsuit, being chased by  tattooed savages.

This was a three hour movie. After two hours, I turned to The Guy and said, "I cannot stand another single minute of this. Have fun. I'll be in the bookstore." I went there promptly.  Because I didn't have my Kindle with me, I found the Vicki Lewis Thompson werewolf book I am reading and parked myself in a comfortable chair.

I later found out The Guy, who is smart enough to understand it, didn't like it any better than I did. Well, I guess he did have to like it a little better. He stayed. Either that, or he is just tenacious.

CANDY CORN SHOT UPDATE: I promised Friday that I would let you know how the candy corn shots worked out. Not. Staying through Cloud Atlas was not the only thing I failed at this weekend. I failed to make these little gems because, though  I had everything else, I found that my ABC store does not carry vanilla schnapps Normally, I am not scared to mess with a recipe, but I was afraid they might not jell if I used, say, vanilla vodka. Also schnapps is sweet. So I bought a bottle of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum and a gallon of apple cider to take to the party. The next time I go to what I think of as God's Own Liquor Store in Nashville I will procure vanilla schnapps and make these--even if it's Christmas. 

Back to Cloud Atlas. Have yo ever left a movie? Ever wish you had?




10 comments:

  1. I'd heard that Cloud Atlas was a mess. It's supposedly about souls being reborn in different times and situations, but you can't be certain because it's a mess.

    I walked out of Event Horizon. It was not only a mess, it was a Bad Mess. When the only halfway-likeable character was killed, it was time to go, so I did. On the other hand, I sat through the whole "Tor, the Caveman From the Future" (or something like that) because it was so ridiculous it became funny. When the cowboys showed up, the audience was howling. Maybe that was the intent, but I kind of don't think so. There are a few other movies I've walked out of, but they were so forgettable I can't remember what they were .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen any of those movies. I have a friend who says I am a cinematographic illiterate. I think that's a little harsh, but I don't see as many movies as I would like.

      There has only been one other that I physically left, though I have lift many to go to my own head.

      One might say that I should read reviews, but I think review reading for books and movies is a waste of time. I like to make up my on mind--and that comes with a risk.

      And I do love a campy bad movie with a cult following. The Legend of Bogie Creek is my favorite. I saw it in the theater when I was 16. Even then, I saw it for what it was. Now Billy Jack--I thought that was fine art. The Guy bought it for me not long ago, along with all the squeals. We had a fine old time.

      One tin solider rides away. . . .

      Delete
  2. Resident Evil Apocalypse is the only movie I ever walked out on. And the husband, an avid gamer and storyteller, took the lead. So I know I wasn't overreacting to the level of awfulness.

    More recently, we desperately WANTED to walk out of Prometheus. It was bad--on just about every level. (Seriously, I think I would have preferred to be waterboarded.) But we couldn't leave, because his boss had bought the tickets for everyone as a sort of belated holiday party togetherness thing. So we had to console ourselves by going home and watching the dedicated webisode of HISHE (How It Should Have Ended) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbcZggwVCw

    ~Angela Blount

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see that. I did see Thor--which is an example of a movie that was pretty bad, but I loved anyway. I didn't know about that website--will check it out.

      Delete
  3. That's too bad that you didn't like the movie. I haven't been interested in the trailers so I probably won't go. I'm always ready to watch a movie, but there are some I cannot stand after watching them once. I think I've deleted their names from my memory. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to blame this one on Ken--and he was the driving force but I wanted to go. He would have gone without me.

      Delete
  4. Hmm. Cloud Atlas hasn't even entered my radar. I know you're shocked at this fact, right? Anyway, had it gotten my attention enough to go see it, surely I would have walked out on it, too. It's the Physics, I promise. Ack! Physics and Geology, Yuk.

    And I'm an avid movie-walker-outer. Again, no surprise, right? I wonder if this is a common ordeal? Is this why Monaco is at one end of Bridgestreet and Barnes and Noble at the other? Rave on the back side of Valley Bend and Barnes and Noble on the front? Hmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better than having to drive to Books-A-Million, which I had to do the time I left Dogma. Between the bathroom humor and the Buddy Christ, the only sensibility I had left that could be offended was bad table manners--and they probably got to that.

      Normally, I like a Kevin Smith movie but we all have our lines, and that one crossed several of mine.

      Delete
  5. I've despised two movies in recent memory, but I was viewing them in the home theater, so didn't walk out. The first was "Up." I know, I know. Cute kid, funny dog, cranky old man, balloons, an adventure. What's to hate? But I did.

    The second? "The Hangover." Dear God. So predictable, so awful.

    I was at the movies seeing "Sideways" when it first came out. I liked it -- but this couple got up and left during a sort of yucky sex scene that just so happened to occur about 10 minutes before the end of the movie. I guess they just couldn't hack it for another few minutes. We all have our bridges too far, I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hated Up too. No child's movie should start off that sad, even in the name of art.

      But I did like the Hangover. And Bridesmaids.

      I liked Braveheart so well, I went twice. But the second time I left to go sit in the lobby right before the rack scene. It is harsh.

      Delete