Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Friday, March 9, 2012

Whatever happened to the Mini-Mansion?


Do you remember the Garage Apartment? The garage to the house I grew up in was converted into an apartment before I was born and during my childhood became one of my favorite places in the whole entire world. It’s where my oldest sister lived while she was in college. Let’s call her Dr. M, because she really should’ve been a Veterinarian. Anyway, it was different from the house with its miniature stove, refrigerator and sink. It felt different, more modern and sleek and smelling of fresh paint (Ooh! I do love the smell of fresh paint!). And it was decorated with contemporary white leather furniture, way cool! Of course, it was also the place for Dr. M’s rescued animals. I remember them like it was yesterday…..the family of newborn opossums whose mother got ran over by a car, the Pomeranian puppy, Strut, who was the one Dr. M kept and loved, and…..well, you get the idea.

Adding on to a garage or converting it to a livable space was apparently the thing to do in older urban housing developments. It not only expanded the living area of a property, but became potential income for the owners as well. The living area, typically 400-500 sf, was perfect for college students who gravitated toward them, or at least they did when I was in college. I wonder, do they still do that?

I rather like the idea of that small living quarter, myself. I often imagine my own garage space transformed into an overlooking-the-river-getaway space with tall windows and a deck reaching toward the water’s edge giving me the feeling of being one with the river. Ahh. Lovely. (Ooh! And I could see the cows through the windows, too!) Funny thing is, I imagine it having an industrial contemporary feel to the interior with a metal staircase, stainless miniature appliances and a murphy bed, quite contrary to the cottage style of the rest of the property. Influences of my childhood where old meets new, I guess.

Looking online at garage apartments, I came across a list of other names they go by internationally. Some sound formal while others are just fun. Take a look. You’ve got the …Grannyhouse, Mother-in-law Suite, Carriage House, English Basement, Auxiliary Unit, Guest House, Carriage House, Coachhouse, Studio Flat, Bedsit (what a funny little word!), L-Shaped, Alcove, Studio Apartment, One Room Mansion, Studio Room, Officette, One Room, and the Garsoniera (try saying it out loud...it's a luxurious word!).

I have to ask, can a mansion really fit into one room? I’m sure it can! But I think my favorite is the Grannyhouse, which is what my childhood home’s garage apartment originated as….a little house for my Grannie. So what’s your favorite name, thoughts or memories of the once popular urban makeover?

12 comments:

  1. I like "Carriage House;" kinda sound British or rich (like in "Sabrina"). We didn't have a garage when I was growing up. All we had was the carport - which in the 70's people were converting into another room for the house. Nothing as exciting as an apartment.

    When I was redoing my office, I looked at Murphy Beds. Believe me, those things have come a LOOONG way. I really considered getting one. They are absolutely beautiful now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have come a long way, Cheryl and I just think they're clever! Besides that, they have a contemporary something-or-other to them that just feels right. Love 'em!

      Delete
  2. This is the kind of thing my mother needs! I'd love to build a little carriage house/guest house for her behind my house. Separate but close, giving her more independence and her own space. Or maybe that could me my office, giving me more space. Either way it's a grand idea.

    Love the terms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You deserve a magnificent office, Kathy! A Carriage House would be perfect! <3

      Delete
    2. Oh, I love a Carriage House. Sounds like my kind of Regency fare!

      Delete
  3. There are no more garage apartments because there are no more garages. Not really. Oh, people have what they call a garage, but how many people park in it? Why? Because we are all so obsessed with stuff that we have to put stuff in our garages to make room for more new stuff.

    For the record, I don't have garage. Also, There are vehicles in Kathy's garage. I've seen them.

    FYI, here are a couple of alternate residences you might find interesting:

    "Dawdy Haus" is Dutch for ‘Grandparents House’. Typically, this smaller home is built beside the main house on an Amish family farm and used as the eldest generation’s residence.

    I cannot remember the name of it, but the grand old houses in the French Quarter often had little detached apartments so that the sons of the house could take their women there without parading them through the main house and offending their mother and sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "Dawdy House" title! Well, the idea of it too, I suppose...except I think I'd want it for the younger generation. I seem to be counting the days till my oldest has her very own kitchen (rather than mine) to disembowel! Sigh.

      As for my garage, well, you're right. My car is not in there, but my junk is. I'm dreaming of over the door shelving to put Christmas boxes up high so I can pull my car inside....especially on those days when hail is predicted. Yikes!

      And I can't believe I didn't point out the French Quarters since I'm from Cajunland myself. I forgot all about the Garsoniera's origin, probably because I'm really a Yankee from the northern part of Louisiana (but I can still speak it, cook it and live it, cher!). Thanks for filling in the history details. I don't think I'd ever heard that part before. Louisiana's history is so full of colorful details!

      Delete
  4. I think the little houses for the sons of the house are called garçonnière. I stayed at a lovely one in Natchez when I visited there. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's it. I knew it started with a g. Did any ghost rakes come through while you were there?

      Delete
    2. Right, ghosts! Louisiana's FULL of 'em!

      As for renting out little getaway rooms in Louisiana, it humors me to no end when I go home and see the old shotgun houses turned B&Bs. Who knew....and why? But they rent out. A part of history, I guess.

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure I would stick with calling it any one name...I'd probably switch up, and call it different names depending on what mood I happened to be in. Maybe Garconiera or Carriage House, if I was feeling fancy *lol*... or Bat Cave (if I'm not getting out enough :-))

    Either way, the idea of having that above-the-garage room sounds pretty appealing to me. Remember how The Fonz ("Happy Days") lived in a room above the garage at the Cunningham's house? It was his Crib... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Didn't think of the Bat Cave or The Fonz! Perhaps the Cunninghams really lived in the French Quarters and sent the Fonz to his crib...? lol

    ReplyDelete