Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Thursday, March 8, 2012

I have a Dream

We are all familiar with the famous speech by Martin Luther King, Jr. "I Have a Dream." I think it is important to have a dream, or six, in life. One of the saddest things that I have ever heard is when someone doesn't have a dream.

As a writer, I have had different dreams at different points in my journey. Once my dream was to write a book. Then my dream was to have someone else, other than the people who love me, read the book. Now my dream is to actually sell a book. That's right; it is my dream to have someone pay their hard earned money to read the words Jean and I have written.


Dani Wade
 I am sure that it will happen, but some days I feel very frustrated and overwhelmed at the entire process. I am always happy to hear that writer friends have sold their books or found an agent to represent their work. I am always looking for ways to keep my dream of being a published author alive which is why I am looking forward this month's Heart of Dixie meeting. Danielle Worsham (who writes as Dani Wade) is presenting a program called“A Race Well Run” about how to keep dreams alive when they seem impossible.
I am sure that this time next week after hearing the program, that I will be full of great ideas to keep my dreams alive.

How do you keep your dreams alive?

6 comments:

  1. I just keep trying and telling myself that patience will win. People don't understand your own dreams which makes it difficult to keep them going. I have learned that hard work and determination keeps everything on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was taught early on in life that success is eminent if you will only keep moving towards it. It kind of rattles inside my head and makes me squirm at times. Here are a few (though there are MANY more!) reminders I lean on when feeling discouraged...

    Thomas Edison's light bulb took 1000 or more tries before he got one that worked.

    Babe Ruth hit 714 homeruns and struck out 1,330 times in his career. His outlook? “Every strikeout brings me closer to the next home run.”

    So, if you give up, who's to know if the next try wasn't the one that succeeded? Keep moving forward, success is eminent for those who pursue it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesia, I like both of those examples! You are right, who knows the next try might be the one that succeeds!

      Delete
  3. I keep my dreams alive by surrounding myself with positive reinforcement... aka like-minded friends with the same goals who support and applaud whenever the balance is weighted by failure or success, positive quotes, quirky doo-dads and so forth.

    Lesia is right. It also helps to know that other people experience the same ups and downs. I like to learn more about the struggles of those who've succeeded. Sometimes it can appear that success happens overnight to some people, but what we don't see are the years of practice and rejection that preceeded that success.

    Our primary goal in life when we stumble is to never lose hope. As Scarlet says, "tomorrow is another day."

    Annie says, "The sun will come out tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar, tomorrow there'll be sun."

    And with every tomorrow, there's a chance of success. The key is to never stop trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the little froggy that fell into the milk bucket kept on a hoppin' til he churned himself some butter to rise to the top! Tehe.......

      Delete