Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Monday, March 19, 2012

Nothing Left to Give

Do you ever have a time when you absolutely have nothing left to give?

That's me today. I am all out. I should not be writing a caption on a photograph today, much less a blog because I don't have any words that are worth much right now.

Oldest Friend's mother died last week. She was a great lady and it was very sad. I moved in for a couple of days. The Guy was out of town on business, in my car. I killed the Miata. We lost power one night for a long time. Before we went to bed, I said, "Oldest Friend, if we don't have power in the morning we are going to have to take that funeral food over to my house. We can't let it go bad." And we had a lot of funeral food. Barbecue, shrimp and grits, turkey, strawberry pretzel salad, chocolate pie, potato salad, slaw. And that's not the half of it.

There were flowers, phone calls, people at the door, and more food.

At the cemetery, the minister (the same one who married me twenty three years ago yesterday) approached our little posse.

"What good friends you all are," she said and she asked how we had all met and how long we had been friends. I was shocked when I realized the the longevity of our relationships.

Every since, the words from a county song my Tracy Lawrence have been running through my mind:

Somebody's gonna drop everything
Run out and crank up their car
Hit the gas, get there fast
Never stop to think 'what's in it for me?' or 'it's way too far'
They just show on up with their big old heart
You find out who your friends are.

Oldest Friend had a lot to find out.

Enjoy the video. I'll be more entertaining next week.

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard this song before but it IS true that tragedy, misfortune and loss will let you find out who your real friends are. I know from experience. The people who haven't called or written or sent a Christmas card since the divorce... well, I don't consider them lost friends because apparently they were never really friends in the first place.

    Please give my condolences to Oldest Friend.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, PM. When we had a family tragedy a few years ago we were surprised at who showed up at the door and more surprised by those who didn't. I makes for some reevaluation.

      Delete
  3. Hugs. There are times when you just have to lower your head and get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are very lucky to have friends like that in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends are most precious, more valuable than gold or silver. Oldest Friend is a very wealthy woman. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean, my heart goes out to Oldest Friend and to you. Times like these are very hard and siphon out our strength. But leaning on each other is the best and only way to get through hard times. Well, that and allowing God to carry you through just like the footprints on the beach poem.

    Sometimes it is in the quiet that you will find your strength.

    Thank you for being such a great friend to Oldest Friend and Happy Anniversary "late" to you and The Guy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I can always depend on you for beautiful imagery.

      Thanks for the good wishes. We didn't celebrate as we planned but sometimes the best celebrations are the unplanned.

      Emerald necklace. Isn't he great?

      Delete
  7. Sorry for not replying to everyone yesterday. That is against my rule and a rule I break from time to time. The good news is I am rejuvenated.

    Also, I had my hair done. Never hurts.

    ReplyDelete