Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Time and Sleep Number Beds



Last week, LTC and I took our youngest daughter to visit youngest son in North Carolina (Army), as well as her fiancee (Marine). Oh! How wonderful it was getting to spend a week with two of my kids and get to see our servicemen and women in action. (We spent three of those days along the NC beach in a great little cabin, while watching Osprey's land and take off and listening to gunfire on the range. All brought back memories for LTC and I about our military past.)

But, all good things must end. At the end of every vacation, the real world of work and house cleaning beckons. And so we were forced to say goodbye to the boys and return home. Youngest daughter returned to school and life has now resumed its normal schedule, or has it?

My first day back at work, I had to help work inventory at our sister store in town. A four a.m. wake-up call and nearly nine hour work day later, I'm exhausted and wishing for that lovely little cabin on the beach.

This got me to pondering as I tend to do, especially when I'm tired. (Oh no! the chorus sings.)

Life is like layers of a Sleep Number Bed.


What if you could manage time like you can a sleep number bed? I know. I know. This sounds crazy, but go with it. What if you could select the setting for your day every morning? You'd have time to manage your needs, fulfill your workday obligations, eat, mingle with friends, shop for groceries or whatever is on your list, enjoy a cup of hot tea and scones, read, write, exercise, and so on. The number you select would ensure that all these needs were met, just as the bed contorts to your body shape to enable you to sleep.


What if you could select how rested you are or if you were going to have a uber happy day? What if you could select whether or not you'd get The Call that day? Or win that contest?

What if you could adjust your day so that you weren't confined by a 24 hour period? Would you choose a hard mattress like Papa Bear uses of work, productivity and more work? Or would you choose Mama Bear's mattress of luxurious, featherlight fun? Or would Baby Bear's mattress provide a mix of everything just right?

The most wonderful thing about Sleep Number Beds is the ability to adjust a mattress to fit your needs. What if we could bend time to our will? And if we could, how would we all deal with time collectively when everyone is getting what they want from their list?

Oh, this has really got me thinking today because I haven't been able to write for over a week and I'm really feeling the bite of me, myself and I against time right now. I want to be more productive, but I'm tired. I want to be more successful, but I have to wait my turn. I want. I want. I want. Blah! Blah! Blah! Wouldn't it be easier to click a number or be this undead monkey? He seems to enjoy his mattress of time.


If life were a Sleep Number Bed, what would you do with your time?

9 comments:

  1. Sleep Number Bed? I don't know what you are talking about? But one more thing that I can control would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, these beds are great. Two people can sleep on them having the kind of mattress firmness or softness they desire without bothering the other. A number denotes how firm or soft your side of the mattress becomes. ;)

      We have a Nautilus bed and you can do the same thing. Makes for very comfy sleeping. Now if only I could get rid of my nightmares. Muahaha!!

      Delete
  2. I don't know my sleep number...I love a tempurpedic bed though ;)

    As for time, if I could just have a block of time every day that allowed NO revolving doors, my life would be complete...hence the lock on my office door. And Jean's right....it's all about control. I love Caller ID, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lesia, I have Caller ID but I'm a ninny about letting the phone ring. I won't do it. Even if I'm getting a call from a telemarketer, it's so hard not to answer the phone.

      Locked doors? If only one would actually close. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Sorry for posting late - been sick. I don't really want to change time; just change me. LOL I waste a lot of time and I know it. I need to start setting myself a schedule and FOLLOWING it.

    I have a Temperpedic mattress which I love. It has certainly helped the morning back-ache. Just an aside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you feel better soon, Cheryl! ;)

      Getting a Nautilus bed with adjustable firmness has been a life-saver for my back and neck.

      Delete
  4. Apparently if I could bend time to my will, I would have posted yesterday. The day just got away from me. :-(
    Great post! It really got me to thinking.

    I seem to to a better job of controling my time some days that others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the eb and flow of time, isn't it, Stephanie? Some days are managed better than others. But what if we could hit that button and make an hour last longer or go by faster? ;)

      Delete
  5. Your articles don’t beat around the bushes exact t to the point.lastingimpressionsfoam.com

    ReplyDelete