Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Rescue Zone


The ocean as a rescue zone?  Herein lies a blowfish's tale...

Walking along the beach, my son and future son-in-law found a puffer fish washed up on shore.  In danger of drying out, and dying, they scurried around to save it, located a bucket and a plastic bag, and put the blowfish in the bag filled with water.  Together, an Army soldier and a Marine set about reviving "Puffer" so he could be reintroduced to the ocean. 

Relaxed, activated into motion and with smiles on their faces, my two Alpha heroes carried their trophy proudly toward us, bringing all of us off of our beach towels and toward the water's edge.  Valiantly acting as if they had just returned home from a coveted quest, both eagerly showed off their wounded warrior/fish. 

Never underestimate an Alpha.  (Gotta love 'em!)  But I digress... 

After many dowsings with sea water, Puffer's gills began working well again to the delight of all.  Side by side, my proud smiling boys set their captive free, making sure he swam into the waves and didn't get beached again.

I've felt like a beached whale, with no hope of ever getting back into the ocean.  But I've learned when problems take you through a war zone, remember that there are always heroes about, ready to dig in, hoist you up, carry you to safety, and fight for your life.

Remember, once beached, not always beached.  You can and will swim again.

Life is an ocean, expanse, sometimes dark and cold, drowning you with doubt and the threat of sharks, but there are all kinds of fish out there, especially the blowfish, whose talent at inflating like a balloon can buoy you back to the surface.


In North Carolina, beaches are strown with various rocks and shells, glistening on the expansive shoreline.  So many in fact, it's amazing to think that each one is visibly prized, like you and me.  But stones are more valuable when they've been polished by grinding sand and shells are more beautiful when they have been bleached clean by the sun.

There's nothing like an ocean breeze to calm the inner beastie.  The feeling of insignificance I sometimes feel when gazing out at the sea is often negated by the knowledge that I have purpose, that I too am a polished stone and a shell bleached clean by the sun.

Have you ever felt beached?  Where there soldiers to lead you back to water?



9 comments:

  1. I am not often beached,but when I am you have proven to be a great soldier.

    But you are no alpha male.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Jean, that is a sweet thing to say. You know I would beat off sharks for you. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, I've been beached, side-swiped and left to my own devices. I've learned that when I have problems I have to deal with them alone. People I have helped time and time again do not return the favor or even pick up the phone to see if I am alive or dead unless they want something. So, no, I don't depend on anyone except myself. Pessimistic, I guess, but I choose to think it's realistic because people never think of any one except themselves and by their actions have proven me right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cheryl, I'm sorry. I hope you found some cabana boys and yummy drinks on the beach to help you get by.

      Delete
  3. I've been beached a few times, but there's always been help available. You know how I was rescued from gunpoint by my honey once (though he's not an alpha male, he is a hero <3). Otherwise, most of my beaching incidents have been internal where I needed the encouragement and love of a friend...not that I'm looney, just that I'm my own worst enemy. And I've got some incredible friends who love me up and make me smile. That's really what the beach is for anyway, right? Laughter and fun and sometimes, a little life pumped back into us! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are far from looney tunes, Lesia. I'm so glad friendships play such a big role in your life, especially the friendship you have with your honey. That always makes the beach much more enjoyable. ;)

      Delete
  4. Ah, beached is so true of me in my life. But I am a MARINE writer. I have a pin and everything so I refuse to back down.

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! You're going about this the right way. Sometimes we can only rely on ourselves for the motivation we need to boost us to the surface. Life is about choices but it's always good to know their are life-guards on the beach.

      Delete
    2. Grrrr! I meant 'there' are lifeguards. Lol!

      Delete