Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Friday, September 16, 2011

Recipe Friday--Orange Cheese Dip

Good pal Lynn Raye Harris posted a yummy recipe for Crawfish Dip on her blog this week that made me remember this dip. (You should take a look at Lynn's recipe at http://www.lynnrayeharris.com/2011/09/14/wednesday-recipe/. )

I've never been a fan of that cheese dip that entails melting Velveeta with Rotel tomatoes so this is what I served in the days before we knew Mexican cheese dip was called Queso Blanco and was supposed to be white. So it's kind of retro. Stephanie calls it "that orange cheese dip." Ever since my town has been blessed with some truly wonderful Mexican restaurants run by first generation Mexicans, my crowd has gotten a little snooty about this cuisine, including cheese dip. So I tried to make this recipe once using Chihuahua cheese. It was one big old watery mess. I understand Velveeta makes a white cheese now, but I am not going there. I'm just going to embrace the orange—at least in my dip. My team remains crimson.

But snobs or not, my friends will eat this. I've seen them. It was good back when Taco Bell was all we had and it's good now. It makes good game day food because, like Lynn's dip, you can leave it in the Crock-Pot with a basket of chips beside it and forget it.

Orange Cheese Dip

  • 4 Tablespoons of flour
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • ½ teaspoon dry mustard
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, depending on how hot you want it.
  • ½ stick of butter
  • 2 Cups of milk
  • 8 oz. Velveeta, cubed

Mix together dry ingredients until there are no little lumps. Melt butter. Add dry mixture and cook for about a minute. Gradually whisk in milk until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and add cheese. Once cheese is melted, transfer to Crock-Pot on low setting. Serve with tortilla or corn chips.

Doubles nicely.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like something I could eat a LOT of - and it's orange! Thanks for the recipe Jean! You are such a good cook! (jealousy here...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I wish I had some right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this recipe spicy, Jean? Though I would love to try this, my stomach isn't overly fond of spicy but LTC loves spicy food.

    I'm going to bask in the orange glow... War Eagle!

    Oh, and they are predicting that FSU will beat OU Saturday. Have you heard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, that sounds good too! Sometimes, you just have to go with the Velveeta. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but it makes a heck of a dip. Superior to all other melty dip cheeses, I think.

    Oh, hey, I have a Reuben dip recipe that's pretty awesome too! Uses corned beef, thousand island, and some sort of melty cheese that might or might not be Velveeta. I'm going to have to dig that one out again, as it is also great party food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrica--Thanks. I am having a little trouble with my Tweet account and haven't taken the time to straighten it out.

    Cheryl--Thanks! But even after all my years as a librarian, I found using the Alabama Code a challenge. I bet you don't.

    Kathy--It depends on how much red pepper you use. You can mix an minimal amount in in the beginning and add more at the end.

    I have heard that prediction about OU and PSU. I've also heard that Clemson is going to beat Auburn. I put about as much stock in predictions as I put in movie reviews. You just don't know till you see it. While a loss by OU MIGHT put my team into the number one spot, if we should be so fortunate as to be victorious this weekend, I am much more concerned about what spot they will be in come mid January. Maybe that's why it's all so exciting! We just don't know.

    Lynn--Yeah, got to love the Velveeta sometimes. Yes, you need to find us that Reuben dip. They Guy loves a Reuben sandwich and that would be heaven for him--Reuben on a chip. Or a rye cracker. Yeah. That would be the way to go.

    Stephanie! I almost skipped you. Maybe we need to make some soon.

    ReplyDelete