Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Life is Constantly Changing

Wow! Lots of stuff has been happening in my life lately. My neck surgery is healing nicely. I'll have that 3 week appointment next week and hope to get the a-okay for getting out and about. I've had some bad days but more recently, the good have outweighed the bad. My neck is regaining range of motion and the scar in the front of my neck is beginning to fade. I'm told you'll never know it is there at some point and I'm thankful for that helpful tip.

Our beloved Mr. Billington hasn't been as lucky. We had to put him down last Friday. He died in my arms, cuddling with me until the very end. We brought him home and buried him near our beloved labs, Bonnie Lass and Raven, and beside our other cat, Ashes, in the backyard. Miss Daae has been forelorn without her buddy, who really can portray the Phantom now. Mom's Siamese, KaaMakelani, feels more at ease slumbering about the downstairs. We, except for Kaa, will always feel B's presence and will miss him so very much.

The first time I tried to drive my car this week, it wouldn't start. Two weeks of sitting idle? Nope, the fuel pump had kicked the bucket. We were looking at a horrendous bill until we found out our previous fuel pump was still under warranty. Hallelujah! Good things happen when you least expect them and oftentimes need them the most. Learned something else too. I'm not ready to go back to work yet. I was worn out after getting dressed and ready for work only to go out and have to jump off the car, which didn't work, to my dismay. So I've decided that I'll wait until next week to give work another try. (The doctor did say 3 weeks, instead of 2. Gotta learn to stop rushing things!)

I've been using this time for introspection and finishing up my contest entry for the Mills & Boon New Voices 2011 Contest. And, I successfully entered my submission last night. This has been a new adventure for me, that far off horizon that eluded me for so long, is finally at my door. I'm talking about writing, not historicals, but a contemporary, something I thought could never be done. Guess what? Hey Mikey, she likes it! She likes it a lot! ;)

So if you have a mind to check it out, my entry is Lost Treasure, Captive Princess and you can find it here: Mills & Boon New Voices 2011. I'd love for you to stop by and leave a comment.

This contest comes once a year and this year includes all genres of romance at Mills & Boon. One of our dearest friends, Lynn Raye Harris, won the Mills & Boon Presents Contest a few years ago and she's written 11 fabulous books and counting so far. So this proves to be a wonderful experience. If I don't final, I hope to take away a new perspective on writing in the contemporary genre that will encourage and sustain me further down the road.

Life is constantly changing and we're to learn and adapt. I'm healing, Mr. Billington isn't suffering anymore, my car has been rejuvenated with a new fuel tank and a newer warranty, and I'm on an adventure, sailing uncharted waters. But I'll maneuver this contest with a compass as my guide and learn as much as I can. (Pirate!)

Like the willow, bend with the wind.

When is the last time you experienced a drastic change or took a fearless leap?

8 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am so proud of you for taking a big step in a different direction.

    The last time I took a really big leap was when I moved to Jasper without really knowing anyone. It has indeed been an adventure but it was a great choice for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about the cat. And do wait the extra week before returning to work. The docs know what they're talking about. Yay that the fuel pump is under warranty. I love surprises like that. :-)

    My divorce was the most drastic change I've ever made and the leap was not fearless. It was overflowing with fear, and I still have a lot of fear about the future. Even when you know you are doing the right thing, it doesn't always make living with the results easy. But I had to do what was best for me.

    Fingers crossed for you in the contest.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was, "I haven't had any changes." That isn't true, of course. Sometimes I think I walk down the middle of the road oblivious to the atom bombs and the blooming roses going off around me. I tend to block out the bad and assume I've always had the present blessings.

    I must reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Stephanie! Growing up in the military I had to make many of those trips into the unknown. It's an adventure and a scary venture. So glad you've made a place for yourself there that you can call home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilyn, I know you've been dealt a very scary hand and I applaud you for your strength and vitality. I'm also so proud of you for finding a great job and continuing to follow your dreams. My prayers are always with you!

    Thanks for the contest fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've gone through life thinking like that too, Jean. It's a good state of mind to be in because you never have to worry about things that will drive you crazy. Sometimes it's the little things that catch our eye and help us reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about Mr. Billington! It is very hard to lose a loved pet!

    Glad you are getting better! And, as for the car, thank goodness for the warranty!

    I have had a lot of life changes lately, things better left unsaid. I am happy to report, though, that I think I am emerging as my old self - leaner, meaner and a lot more feisty! So I guess the change is for the good. We need that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Cheryl! I'm so glad that you're feeling better about the things in your life!

    ReplyDelete