Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Miracles Happen

These past few weeks have been a journey of pain, discovery, and healing. I'm happy to be back blogging at Okay, Listen Here for the first time since I had neck surgery, 12 days ago.

First, I'd like to thank everyone who offered prayer for my surgery and prayer for my recovery. Y'all have been a fantastic and an everlasting boon to my soul. I owe the speed with which I'm recovering to the support given me during this time.

Many who know me, know that I've been dealing with headache pain for nearly two years. Once, treatment for my headaches sent me into the hospital with a rare allergic reaction to a particular medicine, to which I had to have an antidote pumped in my IV for three days to get my body back on track. Every avenue was chased to bring me ease.

I've been scanned from here to there. There was no physical reason doctors could find for my headaches. (I was even told they were due to anxiety.) My headaches were on a 24/7 basis. Various remedies were tried. Meanwhile, I was going to the chiropractor to get adjustments on my neck, which had been bothering me too. During a visit three months ago, my chiropractor said he was going to have to send me to a Neurosurgeon. Now, I balked about this. I did not want surgery, even went through 2 1/2 months with the chiropractor to prevent it. But I'm here to tell you today, surgery has changed my life.

Though I'm still recovering, all pain in my left arm, neck, head, left eye is gone!!!! Praise God! One bad disc replaced took care of all that. Two bone spurs removed took the pressure off a very important nerve. I can see better out of my left eye. I feel better and more alert and just want to shout out my happiness, though it wouldn't do to stress my vocal chords, which are still adjusting to surgery. (Pirate!)

Suffice it to say, I'll have to keep my joy on the down low. But I'm one happy camper these days. The moral of this blog post is: don't be afraid to take that step, no matter how dangerous, to get your health back. Neck surgery scared me senseless. But it was done before I knew it and I felt immediate relief.

Stories are out there that I saw a troll in recovery. Yes, this particular troll was staring at me and I continued to tell it to "stop." Also, waffles is a random word sometimes spoken after surgery. Just saying...

I'd like to take a moment today to thank every doctor out there. It is truly a wonder what doctors can do these days.

And again, I'd like to throw a shout out to all my peeps and those I barely know who prayed for me during this time. I heart all of you!

What are you thankful for today?

5 comments:

  1. I am thankful that my friend Kathy has had her own miracle and is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful that you are feeling good finally! And I am praying this fixes your headaches for good.

    Also, I'm thankful for 2-0. Roll Tide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for getting you back in tip-top shape! So glad all the pain is gone. Now, we have to work on the voice to sing shanty songs! Pirate!

    And I am thankful for 2-0. War Eagle! (g)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful you are feeling much better these days and hope your headaches are finally vanquished. And I'm thankful for the health and happiness in my life. Rest you gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Stephanie, Jean, Cheryl and Crystal! I appreciate you (love the Pirate shanty songs, Cheryl).

    Oh! Lots of College Football thanks being offered up. And from the typical teams too. ;)

    I'm thankful for friends, especially those on this blog, old and new.

    I'm extremely thankful for Football Season!

    I'm looking forward to new directions and the possibilities out there in the writing sphere too.

    Back I go to my recliner... La sigh. ;)

    ReplyDelete