Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Will You Marry Me?
As romance writers, we are all constantly trying to find the most romantic way for the hero to propose to the heroine. Getting down on a bended knee is certainly not the way my alpha hero would propose. He’d have to do something spectacular. I was surfing the Web getting some ideas from other people’s proposals and there were some I just had to share with you. So, without further ado:
1. At a family Fourth of July reunions, Todd wanted to make his proposal special for his girlfriend Malissa. With the help of his friend, Eric who is a stuntman, Todd donned a flame retardant suit and allowed himself to be set on fire. Making an impressive display against the night sky, a flaming Todd raced across the yard in front of his girlfriend and jumped into a kiddie pool, extinguishing the fire. As he climbed out of the water, Todd told his shocked girlfriend that he was “hot for her” and was “on fire.” He then proposed. Remarkably, Malissa accepted. (I would kind of worry what Todd would do at the wedding…flaming groomsmen?)
2. Reed decided to propose to his girlfriend, Kaitlin, at a Wendy’s. He slipped the engagement ring into her Frosty. But that is when things went wrong. Kaitlin had invited some of her girlfriends to eat with them and one of the other girls challenged everyone to a race. Everyone downed their Frosty’s, Kaitlin included. To Reed’s horror, she had swallowed the engagement ring. He rushed her to the hospital where x-rays showed the ring was indeed in her stomach. Two days later she had her ring back and she said yes. (Okay, I don’t even need to make a comment here.)
3. Gennadie, a lovestruck tycoon, hired an entire theatre company for ten thousand pounds to star him in his own play production. He gave his girlfriend and some of her friends tickets to the play. She didn’t know that the masked leading man was her boyfriend and settled in to watch the play. At the time when the leading man was set to declare himself to the leading lady, Gennadie turned and said he could not do that because the woman he loved, Victoria, was sitting in the sixth row. He asked her to marry him right then and there. She said yes. ( I would have been hoping it was Gerard Butler under that mask…)
4. One man, who preferred to remain anonymous, planned to propose to his girlfriend by placing her twelve thousand dollar ring in a helium balloon. At the right moment, he was going to “pop” the question. Walking out of the florist shop where he had purchased the balloon and placed the ring inside, a strong gust of wind blew the balloon out of his hands. All he could do, after following the balloon for two hours, was watch the ring float away. He asked his girlfriend to marry him anyway. She still isn’t talking to him, saying she’s waiting for the ring. (My luck – but who puts a ring like that in a balloon?)
5. Robert, the ever-helpful boyfriend, wrote his girlfriend’s graduation speech. She was nervous that day but Robert assured her that she would do fine and that the speech was great. After reading most of the speech, Zoan (the girlfriend) began reading to the entire crowd “You are the best thing that happened to me. I love you and won’t waste any more words as you have already spoken a lot by now. Will you marry me?” An embarrassed Zoan stood in front of the clapping crowd and said yes. (I would have been embarrassed – reading something that someone else wrote for such an occasion and not knowing what was in the speech?)
I must admit these are strange ways to propose but everything worked out for the guys except poor Anonymous, guess he’s still waiting for the winds of fortune to change direction.
Do you have any strange or funny proposal stories to share? How did your significant other propose? Give us some ideas here under the tulip tree.