Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kathy's Top Ten for 2012

A new year is upon us and all through the house, not a creature is idle, not even a mouse.

Happy New Year everyone!

A new year is upon us and I've been putting a lot of thought into what I want to accomplish in 2012. 2011 brought some great highs into my life. I finaled in a contest and received very great advice from an agent, whom I hope I can impress with revisions this year. While I was sidelined by severe headaches, surgery on my neck helped reveal the cause, a herniated disc. I owe thanks to a fantastic doctor who finally diagnosed my problem after two years of various alternative therapies. Now I'm headache free. Look out world! Woot!

This brings me to 2012, a year I hope to rocket through with streamers and banners announcing my dreams have come true, publication and a career in the romance industry. To be honest, nothing would be sweeter than to see my books in print. I've desired to do this since I was a young wife, all alone with my young children in a foreign country while my husband was off TDY. Books were my solace. Historical adventures saved my sanity. And though my hubby doesn't have to be gone as much as he used to, I still turn to books to transport me to other times and places.

Isn't that why all of us write? Besides purging the voices in our heads, writing is the best way to deal with our lives, explain away the past, mend broken bridges and nurture a tireless spirit.

In keeping with that vein of thought, I'm going to start off 2012 with the top ten things I need to remember this year.

1. Never take your family for granted.

2. Remember that you're not defined by anyone other than yourself.

3. Assign value to your dreams, for they provide life and good health to the soul.

4. Cleave to a good work ethic. Hard work makes Jane whatever she wants to be.

5. Value friendships! Rise above worldly nonsense and make the nonsensical world, sensical. (People will love you for this!)

6. Remember your humanity in the midst of a Mayan/Zombie Apocolypse.

7. Watch Pirates of the Caribbean as the go-to inspirational muse.

8. If 7 does not work, watch Pride & Prejudice.

9. If 8 does not work, watch Phantom of the Opera. *Always a good last resort.*

10. Keep plenty of rum on hand. You never know when you'll need a dram of rum. (Pirate!)

What's your top ten list for 2012?

8 comments:

  1. I only have one to add to your fabulous list - just remember that everyone is trying, including yourself. I thought those words were wonderful and I shall TRY to remember that when I think disparaging thoughts of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My auto accident last Friday has made me really understand #1 and #5. Things can change in the blink of an eye. And when they do, it's wonderful to have family and good friends rally around you.

    Happy New Year to all of you under the tulip tree!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, you make a good point. We are all trying our best to get along. Compassion for others is something we should all add to our 2012 list.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn! So happy to hear that you're okay!

    How quickly things change in the blink of an eye. Family and friends are part of this list no one can do without. I'm so glad you've been surrounded by such a flock of love and companionship, especially at this time.

    A simple reminder not to take anything for granted in 2012.

    Wishing you the best year of your life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a list yet. I am more of a goals list sort of gal. I am currently working on that list. From the looks of this I definately need to consider watching Pirates of the Carribean. I didn't realize it was a life changer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie, I'm still working on my goal list too. Am reevaluating 2011 right now and will be outing myself next week with another list. Lol!

    Pirates of the Caribbean is a definite life changer. There are so many survival skills to be learned. Hmmmm... I sense another blog post for me here.

    Important cue: always keep rum on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pirates of the Caribbean changed my life! thanks to Johnny I'm now a published author!! Not sure I have a top ten list, but I need to write at least one more pirate novel this year and I have pallets of brick pavers that need to be laid. Sigh. Would be more pleasant with Johnny beside me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you here, Michelle! I have your pirate books. Yay! I'll be first in line to get the newest one. ;)

    Can we share Johnny?

    ReplyDelete