Writers love their caves, don't they? Big or small, cluttered or clean, privacy is the main ingredient writer's crave.
I'd love to have an office of my very own. Maybe someday. Yes? But in the meantime, my office is the family study. When our youngest left for college, I thought I'd have the study all to myself. Snaps! Then my mother moved in.
Yesterday, I spent all day cleaning out the study. An enlightening experience. I've developed a new respect for clean office space and how much stuff can be stuffed into small spaces.
Secrets from my cave:
1. I've saved paperwork and paraphernalia from every online class, conference, and workshop I've ever been to or signed up to take. I've got receipts from conferences, workshop schedules, plane tickets and more. I even found the letter welcoming me to RWA in 2004, complete with rules and RWA info.
2. I have various versions of my manuscripts printed off in different stages. All of which are now headed to the wood stove to help heat my wonderful abode.
3. I've printed off and saved various critiques from contests on several different manuscripts. I reread them. Bad idea. Burn them too, I say!
4. I've got books I'll never read, books I've read, and books I've rediscovered that I can't wait to read, again. This is a good thing, unless your bookcases overflow and you need the space for your prized possessions, research books. (Hallelujah!)
5. Which leads to: I don't have enough room in my office!
6. Cleaning my cave has led me to realize one important thing. Hubby needs to have a new one built for me. I know what I want. It isn't that extravagent and I'm not asking for too much. I just want an office that extends from the current back porch. Can I throw in a wrap around porch too? A girl can dream...
7. Ugh! The realization that I'll never get that dream office just hit me in the side of the face like a hungry Malamute. (Safety tip: Don't bend down to pick up a french fry when a malamute is sitting nearby. I've got a small scar near my right eye as a momento.)
8. Yes! (Stands on top of hill, shaking fist like Scarlet O'Hara. Tomorrow is another day!) Thoughts of how I could earn that new office from hubby multiply.
9. For kicks and grins, I'm throwing in wall to ceiling bookcases, picturesque views of the woods and a pool, Captain Jack Sparrow, a dram of rum, a good tome, and much deserved solitude. Who could ask for more? ;)
10. Hey, a kid can dream, right? Oh well... back to cleaning the cave.
What secrets emerge from your cave?