Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Time is Running Out, According to the Mayans

Checking my emails, I realized I had gotten one from Google Earth about locating the hotspots for the End of the World. I did a double take and clicked on the link in the email, wondering how in the heck they would know where the asteroid, nuclear explosion or tsunami was going to hit. The link was for me to upgrade my Google Earth – a shameless ploy. But, it did start me to thinking about this Mayan Calendar stuff – I am sure every one of you knows about their calendar ending on December 21, 2012. There was even a movie, “2012,” done about it (I didn’t see the movie – sounded stupid to me). Any way, if the world does end because the Mayans foresaw this as the date, I got to thinking about how I would spend my last day.





I sat down and made a list of the things I would do on December 20th. I’ve never really thought about it, kind of a bucket list, but this end of the world stuff made me stop and think. Here’s my list of what I would/will be doing on that date in 2012:

1. I would call my family and all the people I love. I want to tell them how much they mean to me and how special they have made my life. To me it would be important to let them know, just before everything ended, that they were what made life worth living. I would want to spend as much time as I could with my husband and my son.

2. The really fun stuff would then begin – I would take my list of people who have annoyed me or really ticked me off, starting with the third grade and Jeanie who made fun of my dress, then move on through the really important stuff. Since my manners have never allowed me to really tell them off (Jean – manners have no relevance when the world is ending), I would proceed to tell them every little conniving thing they had ever done to me and that they were worthless individuals. Harsh, I know. I can hear you all now – why waste that time doing something so mean? Well, I don’t know, it just appeals to me. I need closure since the world is ending.

3. Next, I would go to the grocery store and buy every favorite food of mine. First I would begin with making the world’s largest and last banana split as an appetizer. From there I would go on to frying chicken, making cornbread and cooking dried lima beans (I know, that’s about as Southern as you can get but they are my favorites!) For dessert, crème brulee and cheesecake. The rest of the day would be spent eating Jordan Almonds. Who cares about calories? I would probably also make my son and my husband’s favorite – spaghetti. Not mine but they can’t help it, they have Italian genes.

4. After dinner, I would get in my car and drive as fast as I want. No police worries. Who cares if I don’t show up for court in a month? There won’t be a court if the world is ending. I love driving fast and since the only thing which ever stops me from speeding is getting into trouble with the law it won’t really matter, so why not? I mean, I’ve always wanted to go down I-65 at 160mph!

5. Driving that fast, I could make it to the beach before everything ends. This is my favorite place in the world. The ocean and its raw power rejuvenate me and make me feel more alive than anywhere else in the world. I feel closer to our Creator there. I would want to spend my last moments surrounded by this with my husband and son close by.

I know this sounds depressing and truly I don’t believe in this end of the world nonsense. BUT I do believe in doing things you really want to do before your time runs out. Sitting here trying to think of the things that I would do made me realize that I should spend more time doing what’s important. (Okay, so telling people off is not really important but, if you know me, you know I just can’t let go – a character flaw…). We spend too much of our time scurrying around, worrying about inconsequential things and not living our lives. Tell people you love them. Tell people who are annoying you, well, just tell them that they are annoying you. Eat drink and be merry. And, for me, speed when you don't think anyone is looking. Spend more time at your favorite places with your favorite people. These things are important.

So think about it: what would YOU do if you knew the world was ending tomorrow? Try making that list and see how hard it is. I think it is important so you know what things you as depriving yourself of. (Believe me, crème brulee is something no one should do without!) Tell me what one thing you would want to do on that last day. And if your phone starts ringing early on December 20th, you might start to wonder if you are part of Number one or number two on my list…


4 comments:

  1. I'd give a certain someone a piece of my mind. And probably empty the clip from some sort of automatic weapon. But the world isn't going to end in 2012. I can dream, though, can't I? ~grin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PM. Yeah, I can relate. There is a certain fat, middle-aged brunette who is definitely in for a piece of my mind. LOL Seriously, sometimes I think dreams are what keeps us going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl,
    I like the list but my favorite is #5. I love to drive fast and would love to know that I could go as fast as I want for even just one hour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thought! I've been to Cancun and walked among Mayan ruins. Everything I've learned says that the Mayan calendar doesn't run out in 2012. The calendar begins again or as other archeologists have said, the Mayans ran out of room. LOL!

    If I knew the world was ending, I'd get my house in order, and by house, I mean myself. I would also want to have my loved ones around me. Love makes life worthwhile, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete