Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Monday, July 25, 2011

There She Is . . . .

It's been a long time since I've been to a beauty pageant. Oh, I know it's not okay to call them beauty pageants anymore, but that's the beauty of a blog. You get to say what you want. Mostly. And I mostly want to say beauty pageant because I don't know what else to call it.

It was the Morgan County Junior Miss Pageant. Only now it's called the Young Ladies of Distinction Program. Of course, that doesn't change it, so I think I'll just go ahead and call it Junior Miss.

Cutest Girl in the World (friend of my heart and soul) needed some moral support because her daughter was participating. See, Cutest Girl in the World really is the cutest girl in the world and she passed on some of that fabulous DNA, not to mention that big heart, sweet spirit, and brave soul.

The pageant was comprised of thirteen senior girls. I knew some of them. Precious Angel's ex-girlfriend was among them, plus someone he'd dated a time or two, and a couple of pals. But I wasn't there to see them. I was there to see Baby Cutie Pie.

You might think I'm a really good friend to be willing to sit though that. And I am a good friend. I am a "cheese grits at midnight" kind of friend if you need me. But this was no sacrifice because I knew I would not be bored. First off, I've never been bored a minute in my life. Second, I love some tutus, baton twirling, and sequins. I wasn't disappointed.

Baby Cutie Pie didn't win. Neither did eleven of the others. After all, like The Highlander, There Can Be Only One. Or lets face, due to subsequent Highlander movies and a television series, there could be two. Or three. Four, at the outside.

But I digress. None of the Junior Miss participates had a sword, though the one who did the karate demonstration did have a bo stick with lights on it.

I know you're getting ready for me to make fun. After all, the world at large has declared open season on beauty pageants.

But here's the thing. They took their big hearts, sweet spirits, and brave souls on a stage in front of a lot of people. In essence, they said, "Pick me, pick me," knowing the odds were low. And they did it in high heels, toe shoes, and whatever kind of shoes karate people wear. They danced, sang, recited, twirled, and played a harp.

I was in awe.

Have you ever been in or to a pageant?


8 comments:

  1. I attended our little hometown pageant in North Carolina because a good friend was competing. She didn't win, but after her father was transferred to Georgia, she did end up winning and going to the Miss Georgia pageant. She didn't win that but I always admired her willingness to get on that stage.

    I do know a woman who was a top-ten Miss American finalist and she won the very first "Quality of Life" award (I think that's what it's called). It's the award they give for the platform you choose to support. Hers is organ donation because her brother donated a kidney to her. Anyway, she credits the Miss America system for paying her way through college.

    Now I'll be the first to laugh at Toddlers and Tiaras. But that's way different -- three-year-olds with fake teeth and spray tans and false eyelashes. And some of them need to be taken behind the woodshed and whipped.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to the whippings. And their mamas too. Maybe especially their mamas.

    The thing that did disturb me about this little pageant was there was no tiara. No crown. There was a medallion. It made me want to rush out to
    Trees and Trims, buy 13 tiaras, and distribute them backstage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to many pageants in my time. Like you I am always in very proud of all of the contestants for getting up on that stage and taking the risk.

    I will also admit to watch Toddlers and Tiaras. It is like watching a train wreck. I wish I could help them but I know that there is nothing I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that you blogged about pageants today. My eight year old wants desperately to compete in one, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for all of that. There is a natural pageant here in October, so maybe. My questions are, is the experience worth it? And do the natural pageants carry as much weight as the big glam ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie--We are county girls through and through. Love a pageant.

    Staci--What I know about pageants could be put on the head of a pin. Or a 500 word blog. (See above.) But it seems to me what's key here is she wants to do it and you're not wrapped up in it. It's hard for me to see under those circumstances, how it could hurt her. Or if it does, it won't hurt her long. Because you're the mommy and you can put a stop to it at any point. Let us know what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have been to pageants but only under protest. I like the ones where there is talent involved and they look at the contestants' achievements. Just judging on beauty doesn't show the whole person. I truly believe that beauty comes from within.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a senior in high school, I (in a gesture of solidarity) joined my very good friend in competing to be Miss Pantara. During the talent portion of the evening, I got a wee bit distracted and lost my place midway through the recitation of Shine, Perishing Republic by Robinson Jeffers (whilst dressed as a hippie, no less) and said an unplanned (and very Four-Letter) word into the microphone. My mother was less than amused, but the rest of the audience thought it was the funniest thing they'd ever heard. Said friend recited The Lady of Shalott and won Miss Senior. Miss Pantara that year went on to become an exotic dancer. Apparently I wasn't cut out to be pageant material.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl--So true.

    Jessica--Oh, I think you get some points for being a good pharmacist, a fabulous friend. and a world class mother!

    Even if you did drop a four letter word in public. So funny.

    ReplyDelete