Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Song from the Heart


I was at a Caribbean Party at a fellow writer's house this past weekend and had one of those extraordinary things happen.  So I thought I’d share.

My Honey and I arrived and were greeted by our lovely hostess and another writer.  Then we were off on our own to grab a drink and mingle.  My Honey kept wanting to sit at the patio table and I wanted to move around.  I moved, he sat.  And then sometime later he motioned for me to come over, so I did.  And what had he found?  A couple from our hometown, our high school, our university!  Small world.  So we talked of crawfish boils and the Saints and music…love that Looziana sound!  My Honey beamed at finding “the band” for me.  He knows how I love my music peeps!  

And then the couple wandered off and we were left with another quieter couple at our table.  It was an older gentleman and his wife of many years.  They seemed content and happy to be there.  The man asked how we knew our hostess.  So I elaborated on writing and genres and such.  And come to find out, the man’s a writer too.  A songwriter.  And off we went on a how-to journey of writing and style.  We both agreed in the end that we might not know why something works, the mechanics and names of form and style.  But we know when it works and when it works, it just does.  

We had a great time at the party.  Our hostess never fails!  And I loved hanging with the music people and laughing with my writer friends too.  But from this party, I brought something home I didn’t expect to receive….a new music friendship and a song that touched my heart.

Several years ago, a friend shared a song with me that I loved so much I share it every year at Memorial Day or Veterans Day.  It’s a song of those who served to give us freedom and it reminds me of the men and women who have come and gone, who served our country so that we could live free of fear.  That song is Pittance of Time by Terry Kelly.  It melts my heart.

But this year I have a new song, To My Brother Private William Jones.  The heart that rings out through its story is beautiful and touching.  It’s a song by Mr. Earl Watts, my newfound music friend from the Caribbean Party.  He claims he’s just an ordinary man, yet he plays a not-so-ordinary song. He recently played it for the opening of the Huntsville Madison County Veterans Memorial in Huntsville, AL, and was received with thankfulness by Veterans and Active Duty as well as family members of those who fought for our country.

 And so for this upcoming Memorial Day weekend, I share it with you.


Jump on over to YouTube and listen to the song and ponder the words Mr Earl has to share.  Perhaps you will be reminded of someone who served so that you could be free.  And you too can be thankful.  
 
Happy Memorial Day, y’all!  Come Monday, enjoy some BBQ, corn on the cob and maybe a beer.  But remember the men and women who fought so that we could be free. 

10 comments:

  1. Leisa,
    Thanks for reminding us all that our freedoms aren't free they just may not have been paid for by us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Stephanie. I grew up in a military town, had many family members in the service as well. There's a tender spot in my heart for our men and women in uniform.

    I forgot to ask....does anyone have fond memories of people that served in the military? Family members? People that passed through your life that served our great country?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I had a dear brother that was in the Air Force and was a pilot and he "Loved" it!
    As a young child, he was 10 years older than I, I remember seeing pictures of planes in his room and one hanging from the ceiling! I still remember going up to his room after he had left for his training and crying because I missed him so!
    Flying was his dream, and flying for his country was just icing on the cake!
    He had to leave the military for health reasons, but was always proud that he served his country! We were so thankful he made it back home time after time!
    I do know others that served our country and I am eternally thankful for their lives, those that did and didn't make it back home. Their lives will always be remembered in our hearts for sure! God Bless America and all our Military!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if any of my family members "loved" being in the military...they didn't talk about it so much. But I know one that counted it his biggest honor to have served. It was an uncle who fought in WWII and ran communication wires on the beaches of Normandy before everyone else landed. I remember him saying, "I was just a farm-boy from the country doing my job." He was a true hero in my mind. An example of humility and honor and integrity. And he was thankful. I loved that about him.

      Delete
  4. Great song. And I am thankful. In four weeks Precious Angel leaves for the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. I am feeling particularity patriotic these days. He wants to fly. I have learned that half of the class of 2016 will be afforded that opportunity. I don't know if he will get to fly but he will get to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you. Mr Earl is an amazing man. I was really fortunate to get to meet him and visit together. I can't wait to see him again, soon.

      And what an awesome opportunity Precious Angel has in front of him! I know you're so proud, Jean. Imagine the thrill of anticipation he must have!

      Delete
    2. Well yes, there is that. But I'd guess every one who's sent someone toward the armed forces has been nervous to some degree. But it's a healthy concern, that one. And I know it's hard, but try to imagine the warrior that will emerge on the other side. <3

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this with us, Lesia. I am proud of our military and will remember them this Memorial Day. Thanks again for reminding us that Memorial Day isn't just a holiday but a day of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, Cheryl. Let's celebrate in their honor this weekend, shall we?

      Delete