Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Taking Stock After Christmas

Christmas is over. Presents have been exchanged. Smiles, laughter, and love abounded. Yes, and now, in the glistening afterglow of celebration, there's the inevitable clean-up as life moves on, leaving the million dollar question, why did the festivities have to end so fast?

I spent a lot of time and energy getting ready for the big day only to have it end in the blink of an eye. Does age have something to do with this phenomenon? I remember viewing Christmas from the eyes of a child, eager for the year to move forward so that the end of the calendar year, December, drew near again. Those years dragged excrutiatingly by, didn't they? But oh, how time changes our perceptions. Nowadays, the years pass by so quickly. Before you know it, it'll be time to prepare for Christmas yet again.

While I did not have my whole family together for Christmas this year, at least modern technology helped us keep in contact with our sons. The Internet helped us converse with our first son, stationed in the Persian Gulf. And scype enabled us to enjoy Christmas morning with our second son, stationed in the U.S. Because of scype, we were able to watch #3 open his gifts and he was able to watch us do the same. Thankfully, it was almost like having him in the room. A great experience at six in the morning, let me tell you. (Yes, we were up at the crack of dawn, thanks to our beloved daughter. Gotta love her excitement and the joy she always brings into our lives!)

I must have done something right this year because Santa was very good to me. I got a Kindle 3G and a fabulous Vera Bradley brief case! In the scheme of things, it's apparent gifts don't outweigh the love shared and memories created. What I will remember most from Christmas are the memories that will sustain me in the years to come.

I hope your holiday was blessed with peace, joy and happiness, and most especially the surrounding love of family and friends.

What is the one thing you'll carry with you in the coming year? And was Santa good to you?



2 comments:

  1. The one thing I'll carry with me is that I am lucky. Lucky to have a wonderful family; lucky to have a nice place to live; lucky that I have wonderful friends; and lucky that I am just simply blessed. Looking around at my family on Christmas, all the nieces and nephews, parents and loved ones, I realized I am lucky to be part of it all. That's what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luck is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I was pondering this the other day and found myself thinking how lucky I was to have met my hubby. What were the odds we'd ever meet? And to have had friendships with the same couple too. Life is full of surprises. Sometimes momentous ones.

    I'm so glad you had a wonderfully blessed Christmas, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete