You might think when you read the title of this blog that it is going to be about the little baby Jesus and his upcoming birthday, but you would be wrong. This blog is about having to share your birthday week with Christmas.
Let me first say that I love Jesus as much as most and plenty more than some. I also really love Christmas. I love the decorating, the cooking, the shopping, the gift giving and the gathering together with friends and family. What I don't love is that Christmas and my birthday are in the same week! I really wish Christmas could come at some other time, I mean, don't historians think that Christ was really born during the summer? I say let's move Christmas to June.
My birthday was yesterday and Cheryl's is today. We both agree that it stinks to have a Christmas birthday but having a Christmas birthday does have a few perks:
1. Almost everyone is ready to party with you since it is a festive time of year.
2. You quickly can tell who is REALLY your friend because they never give you a birthday gift wrapped in Christmas paper. It may be news print or paper sack but it is NOT Christmas wrapping.
3. You can tell if your family thinks you are special because they have you a party that doesn't have any Christmas things like plates or decorations.
4. You often have extra time off from work to celebrate because it is so close to the actual holiday.
5. I am sure there is a fifth perk but I couldn't think of what it might be. I will give a prize to the person who comments today with the best perk.
These may not seem like much but as a Christmas baby you quickly learn to take the good where you find it in December.
Can you think of any perks to having a
birthday so close to Christmas?