Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Here Comes the Sun...



Every morning I drag myself out of the house around 6:30 and head to the barn to feed the Tennessee Walking horses. Last Wednesday was no different until I unlocked the office door and walked in, not aware of most of my surroundings because I was tired, and ran straight into an enormous yellow butt. Dominoe’s Sundancer!

Sun, as I call him, had evidently made a great escape during the night. He was standing in the office playing with the telephone I guess he was trying to make a call but had forgotten he had to dial the area code first (don’t we all?). I took the phone from his mouth and tried to figure out how to get him to leave the office. He is a big horse, standing at about sixteen and half hands (hands are equal to four inches and are measured at the shoulder of the horse) and weighing in around twelve hundred pounds. The only problem is he doesn’t realize how big he is or that he is even a horse.




I first fell in love with Sun when he was three months old. A friend of mine called and asked if I would be interested in buying a colt she had. I had been looking for a new horse so I said sure. At her farm, I wandered to the barn paddock. There he was – a fuzzy yellow baby standing next to his momma. To get him to come over where I could look at his confirmation, I put some sweet feed in a trough. His momma started walking toward the food but Sun beat her to it. He kicked her to keep her away from the food which he devoured. I liked his attitude. Against everyone’s advice that a palomino Tennessee Walking horse (actually Sun isn’t a palomino – his skin is white so he’s a champagne. True palominos have dark skin under the light hair) is not a good show horse. I had to have him! Memories of Trigger dancing through my head... He came home with me.

Most people wean horses at about six months but my friend wanted this colt (who was already big and aggressive) out of her pasture. So, at three months, he was placed in a stall at my barn alone. I felt sorry for the little guy who stood there crying for his momma. I spent hours standing in the stall with him, crooning the Beatle song “Here Comes the Sun” and scratching his neck. To this day, if that horse hears that song, he rolls his big gray eyes and starts leaning into me for a good scratching (kind of like a big dog). Being the baby on the place, he got a lot of attention, too much attention. If I had a Coke, he had to have a Coke. Do not get around that horse with a red can – he will climb over you to get it. I let him have apples and corn chips – two more things he will kill you to get. He watches me while standing in the cross ties to see if I am going to the refrigerator and if I do, he wants an apple or Coke– NOW.

Trying to give him a normal childhood, I had a special pasture built just for him to frolic in. I could not put him in the pasture with mature horses (geldings, fixed males, are still territorial and would have harmed him with no momma around for defense). He did just fine for a while until he decided to see how high he could jump. One minute I was watching him slyly grazing and the next he had leaped over the fence, headed toward a very busy road. I outran the boys, leaped the same fence and then stood there, wondering what I was going to do. Singing his theme song, I ask him if he wanted an apple. Food? He came waltzing up, nuzzling me for the treat. Needless to say, he was never allowed outside again without a lead rope and a person attached to it.

True to his big size and, to be honest, his gangly back legs, he was not suitable for being a padded horse (the Tennessee Walking horses you are probably familiar with wear huge pads on their front feet to get that signature walk). He is a flat-shod horse who does exactly what the breed was intended for – a rolling even gait across the plantation. Unlike Quarter Horses or Thoroughbreds, the legs of a walking horse move in concert – both left legs go forward while both right legs move back giving the horse a smooth gait (the other horses trot – opposite legs move together – left back with right front- which makes it rough). We had a trail pleasure show horse. Every one thought he was gorgeous, except DQP.

At horse shows, due to some people being so cruel to their horses, the walking horse association has a Designated Qualified Person (DQP) who inspects the horse’s legs to make sure the horse hasn’t been “sored” (soring is where an oil, usually mustard oil, is dripped on the front legs to make the horse sore – in turn the horse will lift it’s leg higher because it hurts). Well, Sun, who has never had a cruel day in his life, walked jauntily up to the DQP tent to be inspected. But…he decided he didn’t like the guy who wanted to look at his feet. Before we knew what had happened, he had the DQP guy down on the ground and was trying to grab the guy’s shirt to shake him. All manner of thoughts went through my head – we’re going to get a ticket for this if the guy survives! Instead, the guy rolled away, got up, out of Sun’s reach, and told us to go back to the trailer. No ticket. Obviously Sun wasn’t sored, he stomped and pranced all the way back to his hay bag on the side of the trailer. At the next show, the DQP guy glanced at Sun’s feet, and waved us through – he wasn’t taking the risk.




Sun is not an easy horse. He’s smart and cunning. Like any child, he will test you every day to see if you are going to make him mind. But like any child, he craves attention and love. His momma (me) makes very sure he gets it.

Oh, and I got him out of the office with a feed bucket, singing “Here Comes the Sun…”

Have you ever been around a horse? What kind of experiences do you have? Are you familiar with the Tennessee Walking Horse breed? Sun would like to introduce you to them – he’ll be showing in Priceville on October 30th but without a Halloween costume.

15 comments:

  1. He's beautiful! And you can tell that someone loves him just by looking at him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous horse! I have definitely been around horses. Entered my first show around twelve, I think. I had a Heinz 57 horse at the time, but then graduated to Arabians. I showed, mostly jumping and dressage, all through my teen years. I've also ridden giant European warmbloods in Germany.

    I miss having a horse sometimes. I'm familiar with Tennessee Walking horses, but have never ridden one. What's the gait like when you're riding? My favorite Arab had the most beautiful gait to look at -- not so comfortable on top of him though. But he always placed high, so it was worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Instigator! He is a very rotten, spoiled horse.

    Lynn - The gait rocks from side to side - no jarring (the adage is you can hold a full champagne glass and never spill a drop). There is no need to post. Sun never leaves the show ring without a ribbon. He has some blues but mostly second and thirds (those times are when he sees me and tries to get over the ring to me - I have been banned by the boys to stand where he can't see me). To me Arabians are the classiest horses. Elegant and showy and quite a handful! You must be a very good rider to have shown one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Cheryl! What a humerous and loving homage to your horse, Sun! He's a handsome fella and I'd love to meet him someday. I love Palominos. Wrote one into my first novel. I've heard quite a lot about Tennessee Walking Horses and you've repeated a lot of the things I've read in my research.

    Horses are such wonderful creatures but from what you've told me, they are delicate too. I love to watch them. Not so sure about being on top of one. Rode my friend's horse once. Her name was Brandy, like the song, and she was 15 1/2 hands tall. Beautiful, but the whole time I wasn't sure how I liked being up so high with a possibility of being thrown to the ground quicker than I could say, "I've fallen and I can't get up!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a lot of fun to show my horses! I think I was pretty good at one time -- but then I was young too! I haven't ridden in years, but I feel like it's the kind of thing you never forget -- though I'm sure my muscles would protest a bit, LOL.

    Arabians are so beautiful. They look so delicate but are actually so strong. And their endurance is incredible. They can be a handful, but by far the most difficult horses I ever rode were off-track thoroughbreds. Hard to forget 3 years of run, run, run.

    I love the idea that you don't have to post on Sun! Posting was the only thing that saved my behind on my Arab. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, Sundancer would be pleased to meet you - he adores women. And yes, being that high up is a bit daunting. Sun is the culprit who damaged my arm which will be operated on Oct.28th. He didn't mean to, just a bit over-exuberant. Can't stay mad at him.

    Lynn - I had a friend who showed Thoroughbreds in dressage and jumping. She rode one of my horses and fell in love with the gait. They are a very gentle breed. Not like the warm-bloods. Come any time and try them out! Bring your lovely mother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know you were having surgery! Sorry to hear that! But yeah, how can you be mad at him when he didn't mean it?

    I would love to come ride sometime. And I know my mom would love it too. One of these days, we'll just have to plan to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I am really impressed with all of you and your horse experiences. I have ridden a horse a time or two in years long past but since most horse riding occurs outside I usually take a pass now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie - we're just gonna have to get you out here and put you on a horse - dust and all. I sneeze all the time, I need company. Truthfully, you can't go to the barn without getting dirty. I am constantly washing clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful baby. I am reluctant to tell you this. I hope you will still love me. I am afraid of horses. Tony the Pony, who belonged to my cousin, ran away with me and I am not over it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jea, was it a Shetland? They are notoriously mean spirited little animals. I promise not to ever make you go near one when you visit. I am deathly afraid of spiders so who am I to talk? An itsy bitsy spider vs. a twelve hundred pound animal...mmm...who's the smart one here?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOPs, blog monster, sorry Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful horse, Cheryl. As for my own horse experience, I have ridden very little. Years ago, I had begun taking riding lessons on a part Arabian named Count TJ. Very sweet horse. Sadly, I never got to finish my lessons and I have not pursued it since.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Crystal. You're welcome to come visit with the kids any time. I have an Appaloosa who's good with kids. He never does anything but walk. Maybe you could give him a try too.

    ReplyDelete