Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lessons from the Dunking Booth



As many of you know, this past Saturday, I was in a dunking booth for my school's Spring Fling. As I sat in the dunking booth, I learned a couple of lessons about life.

The first lesson was that often it takes someone with some experience to help you get started. I had never been in a dunking booth before but my wonderful principal, being an old hand, was able to give me some advice and a helping hand. I couldn’t even get into the booth until someone got chairs for outside and inside the booth. Without that, I might have eventually made it into the booth, but it much faster and more effective with some assistance. This reminded me of the assistance and advice more experienced writers have given to Pantster and me. Without our more experienced friends, we might be moving forward but our journey would be slower and less effective.

The second lesson from the dunking booth was that you never know when the bottom is going to fall out. One of the first kids to pitch at me was a fifth grader who is quite the athlete. I just KNEW he was going to drop me into the water. I held my nose and braced myself for the dunking I was sure I'd get. He missed all three pitches. Then a couple of kids later, this cute little second grader stepped up. I was chatting with someone (yeah, I know that is a surprise!), not really paying attention. This was a BIG mistake. I wasn’t holding my nose and my mouth was open; down I went into the yucky water. Turns out the second grade, Cutie-Pie, is an All Star softball pitcher. Who knew? I can also relate this to our writing experience. Sometimes Pantster and I are sure we are on the right track. Maybe we have had a successful pitch and the editor has requested a full submission, or maybe we're just excited about sending a query to an agent who seems like a really good match. Then the rejection hits the bottom falls out. I feel as if I am floundering around, sucking the nasty water of judgment into my nose and mouth—just drowning in the misery of it all for a bit, before surfacing to shake the water off and start all over again.

How about you? Do your friends help you with the journey of life? Are there times when you feel as if the bottom has dropped out of your world, but you learn something valuable from the experience?

11 comments:

  1. My best friend for thirty-three years, my husband, has always been there to help me out. He's the one I go to when I have a problem or I need some support. Even when I'm wrong, he never says so; just tells me to forget it and try again (But I can see those wheels turning in in his head - she's done it again). The one valuable lesson I have learned from him is that what other people think or do is not important - what is important is that you remain steadfast in your belief in yourself and you keep trying. Rejection is just an impetus to learn and continue with your life's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, that is so sweet. You are a lucky woman to have married your best friend.

    I like the idea of thinking of rejection as an impetus to learn and continue. Thanks for sharing that with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And sometimes rejections mean that the combination is not the right match at the right time. So back in the chair I go--

    I am trying to picture you in that booth, really. I never would have imagined you going into a dunking booth.

    And that is cool thing to find out about you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My question is this: Why was the water dirty? Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The water was dirty because the fire department filled it up with water from the school hydrant. I think it was also dirty because the dunking booth was also a rusty reddish brown color. All in all, I tried not to look at the water.

    Christine-I couldn't imagine me in a dunking booth either but got talked into to raise money for our school. We raised over $1500.00 for our school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way in heck could anyone talk me into the dunking booth experience. No matter the cause. ;) But I LOVE your lessons learned from it. So true, wise Plotter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I can see you getting into that dunking booth. You're an adventurous soul and a trooper all in one!
    I can so relate to your life lessons from the dunking booth. I just need to haul my arse out of the yucky water, towel off and get back up there! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Yucky water or no, ye proved ye are a true pirate wench, Plotter! Going where no other dared to go. Taking the dunk with a smile and a heart of gold. Winning the bounty for your school. Tippin' me dram of rum to ye!"

    I love your comparison of the dunking booth to writing. Very cool!

    As a matter of fact, I recently learned how valuable my friendships are. When you fear the worst and friends surround you, you will will not founder, but be buoyed through the straits and steered to land. Friends are foundations that brace our hearts and minds. I thank God for all of my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your analogy! So appropriate to my painting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. About twice a day I feel as if I am falling without a parachute. I never lack for friends who will give me theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good blog Plotter. :) I have to join Pantster though, why was the water dirty. Were there dunkees before you, maybe unwashed? I am now thinking of dirty bath water and I don't blame ya. :) Think river water. lol

    ReplyDelete