Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dunking Booth


This Saturday my school is having a Spring Fling.

Now, our school has not flung Spring in this millennium so there are many details to work out. You know how when an organization does the same event over and over, people find their niches. This usually means that responsibilities are spread out based on what jobs people are best suited for. Well, that is not what is happening for this event. Because it has been sooooo long since we had Spring Fling, we have had to recreate everything. Everyone is trying to work together to make sure nothing is left undone. This means that there are lots and lots of emails and telephone calls flying around.

I got an email asking me to take a turn in the Dunking Booth. Not manning the booth and taking up tickets, but actually in the booth being dunked into the water. At first, this seemed like a horrible idea. My hair would get messed up and my makeup would run. But then my wonderful principal pointed out that when I finished with my dunking booth shift, I would be excused to go home since I would be all wet. AH HA!!! Now that was incentive. I wouldn’t have to help clean up and I could even leave early! I signed right up. In fact, I think it is a great idea!

Have you ever, when asked to do something, thought, “Oh, no! I could never do that!” Only to have it turn out to be the best choice, after all?

6 comments:

  1. I don't know how great of an idea it is to go to the beach and leave my hero in the middle of his black moment. Yet, here I go. I'll let you know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first meeting I ever attended at HOD. I had read about the group in Southern Living and I knew I needed to find someone who could tell me how to get involved in the publishing world (I had five books sitting in a drawer). I decided to attend - the time HOD had Brenda Chin there speaking. I sat in the middle of the room, trying to look like I knew what was going on. Well, I listened to everyone talk and shrank more and more into my seat. I had never seen so many smart people, talking in acronyms and sooo knowledgeable. I felt intimidated. I nearly ran out of there, driving home and asking "what were you thinking?"

    Well, I plucked up my courage and made myself go to the next meeting - surely there was someone there as dumb as me about all of this. Not so. But the more I listened and covertly asked questions, the better I felt. Now, two years later, that was the best choice I ever made! I have great friends; have learned a lot (still sort of clueless in some respects); and look forward to the second Saturday in the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean-I am sure you will have a great time at the Beach. Remember to call me if it gets exciting!

    Cheryl-I am so proud that you came back to visit us. I can't imagine HOD with out you now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, that should have been PSN Group (Problem Saying No) Don't know what PRN means. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done this so many times and it usually ends up well too. But I've had to learn to sit on my hands, which are always too eager to fly upward in salute. I have a problem with saying, 'no'. I'll admit it. Is there a group for this? PRN Group? IRUS (Idiots R Us?) If so, I belong there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun getting dunked! Hope the water isn't too cold and whatever you do, don't wear white. LOL!

    ReplyDelete