Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Monday, April 9, 2012

Keys

I used to have a wad of keys that I could have used to attack a gorilla. I might not of won, but my weapon would have evened things up a little. Now, my keys couldn't take out a baby lab rat.

At the height of my key capacity I had a key for:

  • My apartment.
  • My boyfriend's apartment.
  • My parents' house—front and back doors.
  • My parents's car.
  • My car.
  • The library, where I worked.
  • My desk at the library.
  • The library library story hour room
  • The Junior League office.

Then the key evolution began. First I got married to the boyfriend so two apartment keys became one house key. However, I gained a key to his car, so there was no loss. In fact, if I remember correctly, he had a separate trunk key so, I added one .

Then my parents sold their house and moved into an apartment with one key. Then they died. Car key and apartment key gone.

Then I quit my job at the library. Three keys gone.

Then I finally had to sense to take sustainer status in Junior League, so I didn't need in the office anymore. They took my key.

Somewhere along the way, The Guy got a vehicle with only one key.

Now I have a house key (front and back door are the same), his car, my car.

I do have house keys for a couple friends, but I don't carry those. I have a safety deposit box key and no fool carries that.

Three little keys. I can't say my life is much simpler.

I bet you think I am about to liken all this to the phases of life or compare it to writing.

Nope.

I just want to know how many keys you carry.

14 comments:

  1. H'mmm. I don't actually have a car key. I have a remote. The car starts from an signal from the remote; all I have to do is push a button. But I carry: house key, PO Box key, and safe deposit box key (yes, I carry it with me, on my car remote, because I figure I have to GET to the bank so the best place is on the remote that started the car that got me there). But then, we're in our safe deposit box a lot, the bank employees know us, we gotta sign to get in, etc.

    I also have two key rings. The car remote is in my pocket, not my purse; if my purse gets grabbed, they don't get my car, or my safe deposit box key. But I have a key ring for the mountain house; it has two keys on it, and a flash drive.

    I used to have a lot more keys than that, but one day I realized I didn't know what half of them went to, so I removed them, dropped them in the ceramic pot I use to hold extra keys, and freed myself from a bunch of weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, the reason this fool doesn't carry her safety deposit key is lost keys. I am better than I used to be, but at one time I had a real issue with that--which is odd because I don't generally lose things. This is also the reason I don't have more than one key ring.

      Delete
  2. Let;s see. Hmmm. I have a key for: my house; the barn; the front gate; my parents' house; and my sister's house. My car is keyless and the other four car/truck keys stay in a container in the kitchen cabinet. I couldn't use them to kill a gorilla either but the stun gun in my purse would make him think twice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I carry a house key, a mailbox key and my apartment door key. I have other keys (safe deposit box, my mother's house, my son's old house -- hmmm, better ask for a key to the new one) but those are kept at home. It's kinda nice to have so few keys.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm amazed at you ladies. Don't you need a key to start the car? ;)

    I don't normally carry many keys. My parents have always lived far away. Extra keys for kids' cars are stored elsewhere. What weighs my keys down are the key chains. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No key - hence the term keyless entry and start. Toyota and Lexus have had it for years. I love it because it means you don't have to fish around in your purse for the key.

      Delete
    2. I know not of what you speak. ;)

      Delete
  5. I have 2 car keys and a house key. My library keys had their own key chain that weighed me down with about a dozen keys. I counted aerobic points for carrying them around everyday. But like you Jean, I handed them back in for someone else to carry. I do have a safe deposit key and a pool key, neither of which I carry all the time. I also have a flashdrive which will be coming off the ring today. Its purpose has been fulfilled. And then I have all those annoying tags for stores like Kroger and Publix and such. DSW can look me up with my phone number as can Ulta 3, so why do I carry them? Maybe I won't after today. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all those little cares on a different key chain and I had every intention of carrying them. I don't. I hate them. They break. I do have one on my keys that is supposed to get me rescued from Honda if need be. So far, so good.

      Delete
  6. I am like several of you here. I have two differnt key loops. One only has my car and house key on it. Then there is another loop that detaches when I need it to that contains keys to the other important homes in my life, one to Pantster and the Guy's house and one to my mother's house. Like Maven Linda I had a few more on that loop but I didn't know what they went to so I took them off the loop and put them in a pottery bowl.

    So to answer the question I have 1 car key and 1 house key on one loop and 3 more keys on another loop. Oh, and 1 school key on a braclet loop all alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want those keys that you don't know about so I can put them on my key chain and look important.

      Delete
  7. Sorry I am late replying. Things happened yesterday. Not bad things, but "one right after the other" things. Then it was time to go eat sushi and see the Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I carry 5 keys - car, house, classroom, classroom paper towel dispenser (yep, there is a key for that!) and a key to a house that is no longer standing. I just can't get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete