Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Head Over Heels for Historicals

Head-over -heels for Historicals


I’ve been an avid historical romance reader since my teens, starting off with the fabulous Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, Johanna Lindsay, Julie Garwood, and LaVyrle Spencer. Though the genre has changed a bit since those days, the HEA (happily ever after) is always clear. Readers know when they pick up an historical novel they will be stepping into a time machine which will transport them back through time and space. And with romance, readers also know when the final page is turned, happily ever after is what they will get. Guaranteed!

Attending the RWA (Romance Writers of America) National Conference has been one of the greatest things I’ve ever done for myself and my career as a romance writer. I’ve made amazing acquaintances and even more spectacular friends in the process. Workshops, agent/editor/author chats, pitch appointments, publisher spotlights and booksignings will fill my days this week. But there is one thing I look forward to most of all (besides hanging out with my roomies). This event happens only once every two years, the Beau Monde’s Historical Conference.

What is the Beau Monde? The Beau Monde is an online romance chapter specializing in the Regency Period. An excerpt from the chapter appears below:

“The Regency Period, strictly defined as Britain during the years 1811–1820, was a fascinating time. The plethora of events, fashion, the larger-than-life aristocrats who peopled the ton (Society), as well as their moral (and immoral) behavior is an ideal time for the historical romance writer to place characters. The Beau Monde, a specialty chapter of the Romance Writers of America®, is a community of Regency writers, both published and unpublished, who specialize in the Regency genre.”

With a membership numbering 260, and with over 100 published authors in their midst, the Beau Monde is the place to turn to when writing Regencies. As a Regency writer, I’ve found a safe haven and a wellspring of knowledge about the genre within this group. If you’re a Regency writer or would like to write a Regency romance, check out their website.

But I digress… Y’all, today I’m in heaven! I’ll break fast with fellow Regency authors, attending workshops like: Teaching the Regency Romance, Doddering Butlers, Pert Housemaids, and Faithful Retainers: Busting the Servant Myth, Life After Sexy, The Everyday Life of a Disreputable Lady, Inside the Lady’s Wardrobe, Adapting Modern Situation to the Past. There will be an annual membership meeting, luncheon with keynote speaker Gaelen Foley, an afternoon Tea and a Soiree, where attendees can learn how to dance to Period music at the call of a Dance Master or chance a game of cards. (If you can appear at the Soiree in Regency costume, all the better.)

As I immerse myself into bygone days, I leave you to ponder this: What historical era do you like reading about most? What is your favorite historical romance author? And if you could go back in time to witness one event, which one would it be?


Katherine

4 comments:

  1. I love to read historicals. It's hard to choose just one favorite but I guess mine would probably be Johanna Lindsey.

    I don't know what event I would like to witness. I will have to ponder on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read many historicals but I do like Johanna Lindsey. If I had to pick a period it would be the late 1700's - Revolutionary War. An event I would like to have witnessed would be the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Imagine all those Founding Fathers around one table! Of course I would want to talk to all of them (imagine me not asking questions). Just fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Julia Quinn and Eloisa James. Rather than one event, I'd like to be a fly on the wall at Almacks and in palors in Mayfair when ladies recieved their beaus. Is that lame? I'm pretty nosey, I guess.

    So, conference update: Stephanie is at the Leadership Conference, Kathy is at the Regency workshops, I am about to go spend some time with one of my favoriet people, and we are missing Cheryl.

    Cheryl, I saw the perfect mouse ear for you.

    More later....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have many typeos in the above post. Forgive me. I am not accustomed to a laptop. I love my great big keyboard, my great big monitor, and my desk. But I am thankful to Stephanie for bringing her laptop so we can stay connected.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete