Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tortoise and Hare


One of the best pieces of advice that Pantster ever gave me was, “They have to know you got the job done. They don’t have to know you did it last night.” That has served me well over the years, but I find myself striving for a different way now-- not necessarily a better way just a different one.

I was thinking last week about how I seem to always be frantically darting from here to there, trying to accomplish everything at the last minute. Which, inevitably, means that I have a good bit of stress from the scurrying around that I shouldn’t have to experience.

I feel like the hare in the fable about the Tortoise and the Hare. You remember that the Hare was running and running, hurrying to finish the race as quickly as possible. In fact, he zipped around the racecourse chasing many other things, using his energy for things that weren’t related to the race but just looked fun. Remember, as well, that the Tortoise was focused on the race and stayed steady on the course.

The Tortoise was just nice and steady, very consistent in his efforts. I would like to be more like the Tortoise, especially in my work habits. Too often, I find myself like the Hare, darting from website to Facebook, to Twitter but not really seeming to accomplish anything. I find that as I get older and am juggling more things, that the constant state of panicked scurrying around becomes more taxing on me, both physically and mentally. I guess the real question is can I change a lifetime of last minute habit?

Are you a tortoise or hare?
Have you always been the style that you are today?

5 comments:

  1. I am a modified Hare. LOL. My mother said I came into this world in a hurry (she was in labor with me for thirty minutes) and I have been in one ever since. I do run around, wanting things done yesterday, but once I have a task, I slow down. I take my time to do the job, not haphazardly and with an eye toward the finished product. It does bother my husband though. He hates it when I nag about getting something done TODAY. He's more the it'll-eventually-get-done type. Opposites do attract.

    I don't know if you can change from being a last-minute type - it's in your DNA. But then, I've never noticed you not fulfilling any task you are set. You always seem to do everything with precision and attention to detail, even if you say you did it in a hurry. It's just how you're made. I wish I could be as organized as you...I think you may also be a modified Hare with the Tortoise peeking out every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately it seems I just run here and there and never get anything done at all! It's frustrating. I never used to be a procrastinator, but now ... I think I need a brain transplant. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Hair in the body of a Tortoise. Imagine that! ;)

    Sometimes the mind is more than willing to venture ahead but the body isn't. Sometimes the body is and the mind isn't. I've had a lot of the second description lately. But I find that if I am consistently doing 'something', I will get a lot of 'something' done. I just might have to go around in circles to get there, or dig a tunnel ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all--Plotter is out of pocket. It's nothing serious but her mother has had a little health issue.

    I don't seem to one or the other. I am not inclined to put off things that are very involved but I do procrastinate about things that are easy and take little time. That's why am often found ironing on Sunday morning while I'm trying to get out the door to church--and promising myself that next week, I'll do it on Friday. It never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most certainly a hare! Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete