Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Technology: Curse or Blessing


I have found that people either love technology or hate it. I am a hater. Today I have been trapped in Technology Hell. I am taking an online class this summer and have an assignment due almost every week. This week, I have to turn in a Professional Development Plan for how I am going to add some ummph to my professional development by adding some technology education to my life. The irony of this is that I have had so much difficulty with the technology in my life, I had trouble completing the assignment.

My internet connection had been spotty for a couple of weeks. The last time I had this kind of problem, the very nice cable repair man told me that it wasn’t trouble with my internet connection or my modem, but that my “ports were degrading.” Now this sounds like something that happens to white trash people who don’t take care of their things, not an anal retentive type like myself. I was a little insulted until Pantster’s Guy explained that it just meant that my plug-in thingy-ma-bobs were wearing out. Lucky for me, The Guy is fluent in Geek-speak. So when my internet went out this time I didn’t panic; I just went to lunch.

When this happened last week, The Guy told me to unplug everything, wait a little while then plug it all back in and see if it works. When I did what he said, a miracle had happened and my internet worked again. So I was hoping for the best, but since I bought a new lap top this past weekend, I did feel as if I had more options--especially since Pal had gotten it all set up for me to use Word and get on the internet. That is IF I was able to connect the lap top to the internet at home, since Pal wasn’t at my house to meet my I.T. needs.

While I was at lunch, I consulted with Dr. Good Sense and we decided that if I have to, I am probably smart enough to disconnect one cable from the desk top computer and connect it to the lap top. She was nice enough to tell me to call her if I needed to be talked through it over the phone.

Unfortunately, last week seemed to have been my last miracle for June because today I had no such luck. There was still no internet connection when I got home and connected everything up. AGGGHHHHH!!! The stress…I needed to read some blogs, read Wanda Ottewell’s Q & A over at the Ruby-Slippered Sisterhood, read Trish Milburn’s new online chapter of Her Unexpected Cowboy, plus Pantster had sent me the newly revised completed version of our WIP. And, oh yeah, I needed to complete my technology assignment. I didn’t have time or energy to work out computer problems, or go somewhere else to work.

So I took a deep breath and unplugged the ether net cable from the desk top computer and plugged it into the laptop; that is when I got another miracle. It WORKED! I was even able to get the mouse plugged in so I didn’t have to use that little box to move my cursor.

I feel all Sex In the City now, just stretched out with my feet on an ottoman writing as if I am Carrie Bradshaw. I still will probably never love technology like some of my friends, but maybe I won’t be such a hater in the future. Oh, I did get that assignment done and turned in before I wrote this and now I am going to go reward myself with a cowboy chapter!

Do you find that technology helps or hinders your life? Do you have any technology horror stories?

7 comments:

  1. I am thankful for The Guy. I would be thankful for him even if he wasn't a technology genius but it helps. I have some of the synopsis written. Really. Now I'm going back to it. Will there ever come a time when we can hire this part done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the hiring out..let's ask Nora when we see her in July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could ask her when she calls you today to ask for advice on her WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't live without my technology! What's the first thing I do every morning BEFORE getting out of bed? Check email on my iPhone, of course! I even check it in the middle of the night sometimes. You just never know what you'll get. And since my editor is in London, it's entirely possible I could have a 2AM important email.

    I can't imagine not having Internet on tap wherever I go. When the hubby was laid up in the hospital, I took my laptop and sat by his bedside using the free wifi for hours on end. I shudder to think of the days before this was possible. I'd have been stuck watching The Price Is Right or reruns of Saved by the Bell. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lordy, I am soooo technically challenged! I can't even turn off our TV correctly. LOL Hubby says I always leave something on. What ever happened to just OFF? I still can't work my old phone and he wants to upgrade me. I think my problem is I really don't want to spend the extra few minutes it would take to figure it out. And forget the computer/internet workings. I just call my cable guy to get off the sofa and come fix it! :-D
    Oh, and when you talk to Nora tell her I said Hello!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn-Isn't it funny how we love being connected all the time. I get all twitchy if I can't get to the Internet at least a few times a day, but I want it to sorta be like magic...it just happens and I don't have to do anything.

    Sherry-I am soooo jealous that you have your own cable man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late to this party but I just have to tell you how proud I was of myself when I moved last fall and SET UP MY OWN ROUTER AND NETWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, it took 4 tries, but by golly I did it! Yay me! I do get frustrated though because the technology changes and I am often steps behind.

    ReplyDelete