Okay, Listen Here

Okay, Listen Here

Monday, April 19, 2010

Labyrinth of Life





Last Saturday our fabulous local chapter of Romance Writers of America visited a labyrinth. You may be asking yourself, “What’s a labyrinth?” I was wondering the very same thing before our program. It turns out that a labyrinth is a pathway that leads in a meandering fashion, from the one place to another. Typically, one walks a labyrinth by entering at the outside edge and going along the pathway to the innermost part.

It was very interesting to see the many different approaches we all had to this activity. Some took their shoes off and walked very contemplatively on the green grassy pathway. Others seemed to attack the pathway as they boldly strode along the grass to the center. At one point, someone said that after watching the differences in the way Pantster and I walked the pathway, she couldn’t believe we could actually write together. But in the end, we were side by side so I guess that, just as in our writing, the labyrinth walking worked itself out.

On the way home from this field trip, I contemplated the day and thought about the labyrinth activity. It was pretty easy to see how it could be a metaphor for our lives. You start at the beginning and wander around hoping to find your way to success by following a chosen pathway. But what happens when you lose track of which twist and turn you are supposed to make? What happens when you feel that you have gone around and around but are still almost where you started, while others seem to be way ahead of you? What happens if you simply get frustrated because the journey isn’t proceeding in the way you planned or hoped?

Has there ever been a time in your life when you felt that your chosen pathway wasn’t going anywhere, but since you didn’t know how to change directions, you continued but, in the end, everything worked out well?

6 comments:

  1. Actually, that's how I am feeling about my life at the moment. I just keep onward. If I changed directions now, I think I'd be back at the beginning (much like that game Candyland, when you pick the wrong card or land on the wrong space you get sent back).

    As they say, sometimes its not the destination, but the journey traveled--and if it is with good friends, an iced glass of something and lots of laughter, that's even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. M.V.,
    I love your Candyland example. I know just how you feel. Isn't it funny that sometimes we work so hard going one direction only to change directions and go back the way we came?

    Perhaps that is one reason the journey should be our focus. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I had a wonderul analogy of my life and my labyrinth walk written but it got deleted. Arrrr! That brings out the pirate in me. Bring on my scabbard...

    Love your post and MV's analogy of Candyland, Plotter.

    I think I'm most like Tigger. I'm bouncy, prouncy, bouncy, prouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. Oh, the wonderful thing about Tiggers is... I'm the only one. Oh! I'm... the only one.

    My goal is in mind. I try to attain it. Life intervenes and knocks me off my path. I piddle and piddle until, realizing I'm off track, I reset my goals. In the interim, I have friends there to guide me (thank you, friends!), books and movies to inspire me, and a muse sitting beside me (well, sometimes).

    Basically, I need to spend more time on my butt and less time on my bouncy tail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,
    I love the "more time on my butt and less time on my bouncy tail." That was GREAT!

    I agree that more time in the chair can be a good thing, but always remember you aren't really ever alone. You have us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! My stripes are blushing... Shanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that very deep, Plotter. Sort of like a bottomless pit variety of depth. ;)

    ReplyDelete